Are you a strong communicator with a compliance or legal background, either through formal education or on-the-job skills? Do you understand the importance of ensuring your organization and its employees conducts business in accordance with financial services best practices and the regulatory rules and regulations for the countries in which we do business?
We are looking for someone like you to take on the professional risk & compliance challenges of a Due Diligence Analyst who is responsible for executing Chipper Cash Know -Your-Customer (KYC) and Know-Your-Business (KYB) activities in accordance with our policies and procedures, while keeping up-to-date on emerging risks and maintaining subject matter expertise of applicable anti-money laundering laws and regulations.
Who We Are
Chipper Cash was founded in 2018 by Ham Serunjogi and Maijid Moujaled, with the aim to “chip away” at the problem of inaccessible financial services, a high population of underbanked consumers, reliance on cash for daily commerce and the difficulty of cross-border transactions. Today, Chipper Cash is connecting more than one million people in Africa, one transaction at a time with an easy-to-use mobile app that makes money transfers fast, secure and free. Whether it’s sending money home to support your family, running a cross-border business or paying local expenses, Chipper Cash saves time, saves money, and opens up new opportunities for Africans everywhere.
With plans for rapid expansion, the Chipper Cash mobile app is currently available to consumers and businesses in seven countries, including Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria and South Africa. Headquartered in San Francisco, California with offices across the globe, Chipper Cash delivers fair financial services that make the lives of millions of Africans better in a small way, every day. Chipper’s mission is to unlock global opportunities and bring Africa together, one transaction at a time. Come join us. For more information, please visit our website: www.chippercash.com
What’s in It for You?
You will work with staff reporting to the CCO, Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and approved third party vendors to promote an appropriate risk-based approach. Your mission involves ensuring Chipper Cash is in compliance with regulatory obligations for it’s KYC/CDD/EDD and using approved tools and processes for customer onboarding, due diligence activities, and escalations (as required) in your work. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
You will assist the CCO in conducting day-to-day on-boarding activities on personal and business accounts in accordance with policies, procedures, and processes for Chipper Cash’s Business and regulatory obligations:
- You will identify key risks in the current client onboarding verification process and recommend strategies for future state design to mitigate AML risks while operationalizing efficiency and reducing account lead time,
- You will conduct due diligence (CDD) and initial analysis of enhanced due diligence (EDD) on new and existing customers in the case management system.
- You review identification and other CDD/EDD documents for authenticity, completeness, and accuracy.
- You may gather data from various internal and external sources (from customers, any existing electronic files, etc.) to complete Know-Your-Customer (KYC) and Know-Your-Business (KYB) profiles.
- You perform Sanctions and Politically Exposed Persons (PEP) screening, investigating true positive hits and escalate for further review and approval to management.
- You perform initial Periodic Customer Reviews to ensure timeliness and accuracy of the review.
- You maintain sufficient understanding of products and services to recognize AML/CFT and Sanctions risks.
- You are able to provide AML/CFT guidance to staff and respond to related customer queries, often on a real-time basis, or escalate those queries, as required.
- You use your subject matter expertise in identification of trends, anomalies and patterns for suspicious activity and red flag indicators in the KYC/CDD/EDD area.
- You serve as a mentor to other analysts through sharing knowledge, expertise, and problem-solving discussions.
- You will perform any additional risk screening, analysis and duties, as assigned.
- You work with management to identify professional development goals and opportunities, including on-the-job training/skills enhancement.
- Ability to adapt, learn the formal and on-the-job/mentor training to incorporate due diligence processes, systems and technologies for best practices in client onboarding, CDD/EDD and Case management.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in financial services or related role(s).
- Work within the financial services compliance, AML legal or other control-related function in the financial services industry preferred. Candidates with less financial services industry experience may be considered if the applicant also possesses equivalent experience in another discipline with a financial crimes compliance/AML/CFT/Sanctions/Anti-Fraud nexus.
- Detail oriented and able to work independently and within dispersed team environment.
- Strong English written, verbal communication and analytical skills required.
- Experience operating effectively across globally diverse businesses and matrixed environments on a variety of compliance issues required.
- Working knowledge and experience with AML/CFT/ Sanctions /Fraud regulations, risks and typologies.
- Knowledge of mobile money ecosystem. Working knowledge of e-money, and regulations applicable to mobile and internet-based payment systems and related regulations and requirements preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree/certifications preferred.
- Be a self-driven, self-starter. We’re a dedicated, hardworking team collectively motivated by our mission and vision.
- Have a global mindset. Even at our small size, we have a team that represents 10+ countries, and our global footprint of customers will continue to grow.
- Be comfortable with the uncomfortable, goals that is!
If you feel you are a fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.