Young Professional Officer (Food Loss and Waste) at FAO
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: FAO
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, Better environment and Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Regional Office for Africa (FAORAF) oversees 47 Sub-Saharan countries guided by Regional Initiatives that serve as a mechanism to ensure effective delivery and to demonstrate impact of FAO’s work on the key priorities of the region. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by SDG 1 (No poverty), SDG 2 (No hunger), and SDG 10 (Reducing inequalities) as well as to supporting achievement of the broader SDG agenda, which is crucial for attaining FAO’s overall vision.
RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with regionwide institutions including the African Union and Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the RAF Programme Unit under the technical leadership of the Regional Programme Leader.
The Young Professional Officer reports to a Senior Food Systems Officer/Programme Manager of the “Make nutritious foods safe, available and accessible” Programme.
Contribute to the design and implementation of activities, programmes and projects related to the reduction of food loss and waste (FLW).
• Monitoring of progress towards SDGs 12.3 supported in selected countries
• Scoping study of existing technologies for reducing FLW and nutritional value of food supported
• Capacity building of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in FLW reduction innovative technologies supported
• Knowledge products for awareness and information sharing on FLW supported
• Scoping study on impact of COVID-19 on FLW in selected urban areas supported
• Reports on the assessment of food losses at country level produced
Research, technical analysis and project related services to support the delivery of assigned projects, products and services.
• Analyses relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents;
• Maintains records and updates databases and web pages;
• Provides technical support to various projects;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Supports monitoring of food waste levels and progress made by all actors towards the achievement of SDG 12.3;
• Assists with research on FLW to strengthen the evidence base (consumer, scientific, etc.);
• Supports the food security and development of small-scale producers in Sub-Saharan Africa through knowledge sharing and capacity building on FLW reduction, value addition/processing, market linkages and impact measurement;
• Contributes to scoping of existing technologies to reduce FLW and best practices that can be scaled up;
• Supports countries to conduct assessment of the levels of FLW, collects data and reporting on FLW under the SDGs tracking mechanisms and Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) Frameworks promoting better use and understanding of date marking;
• Supports promotion of awareness, information and education campaigns on reduction of FLW;
• Supports capacity development initiatives targeting stakeholders along the food value chain;
• Supports and engages the private sector to participate in the efforts to reduce FLW.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in food science, food technology, post-harvest management, food engineering, agricultural economics or closely related field.
• One year of relevant experience in food systems.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in areas of innovative food systems, FLW and agribusiness, trade, nutrition and market access.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Demonstrated familiarity with developing regions’ food systems and nutrition issues, engaging with governments, policy and political engagements.
• Extent and relevance of experience in project formulation and technical backstopping and working with multidisciplinary teams for technical implementation.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 12 Nov. 2021