Vaccines Initiative Officer at World Health Organization
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: World Health Organization
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Immunization is one of the key priority areas for the WHO Country Office for Ghana, the Ghana Health Service, and the Ministry of Health. WHO continues its technical support to the government at national and sub-national levels to reach the goals of the EPI Programme as outlined in the comprehensive Multi-Year Plan (cMYP) 2020-2024 and the Health Sector Medium Term Development Plan 2022-2025.The overarching goal is to support the Ministry of Health, through the various agencies and levels, and relevant institution in strengthening the capacities to build an investment case to support decision-making for new vaccines in collaboration with other partners and stakeholders. It is also to assess the impact of immunization interventions for the reduction of morbidity, mortality and disability resulting from vaccine preventable diseases (VPDs), using a comprehensive life-course approach. This aligns with the Immunization Agenda 2030 (IA 2030) and the Gavi Alliance Strategy 2021-2025 (Gavi 5.0) of improving equity and increasing access to vaccines.There are increasing needs to advise national immunization policy and programming as a mid-income country to innovate and prioritize high impact interventions in the context of transitioning from external resources. There is the need for sustained quality technical assistance by WHO to the MOH, GHS and partners.Description Of DutiesThe incumbent will have the following assigned responsibilities/duties:
- Routine Immunization
Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other partners to assess performance and help formulate required action/interventions to ensure improvement Conduct and update the situation analysis for the development, design and management of immunization related programmes Support the application and implementation of accelerated diseases control activities towards the achievement of eradication (polio), elimination (measles & rubella) and control of vaccine preventable diseases
- COVID-19 Vaccine Delivery
Provide technical support and day to day coordination and collaboration with the EPI Programme, partners and other stakeholders on COVID-19 vaccination with focus on vaccination among most disadvantaged populations and high risks communities Participate in monitoring of COVID-19 vaccination roll-out, including field site visits, identifying issues, solutions and priority actions with stakeholders. This includes technical support for the development and implementation of digital tools and strategies for real-time monitoring. Provide technical support related to data management, analysis, monitoring, evaluation and reporting for COVID-19 vaccination Support and facilitate relevant trainings, orientation, workshops to build capacity of health workers, community members, partners on COVID-19 vaccination, including microplanning, community engagement outreach and monitoring. Support and participate in communications and visibility, collecting stories from the field, including human interest stories. Monitor COVID-19 vaccine registration, reception and track expiry. Support safety monitoring of COVID-19 vaccines.
- New Vaccine Introduction
Support implementation of studies to establish local level data and evidence on disease burden and other data including cost-effectiveness analysis to support new vaccine introduction Support the country to put together the country’s application documents to Gavi or any other supporting organization Provide technical support for the introduction of new vaccines including development of introductory guidelines, capacity building, deployment monitoring, post-introduction evaluation etc
- Impact studies on vaccines on the National Immunization Schedule
Provide technical support to the EPI Programme to continue implementation of the malaria vaccine pilot including scale-up to other districts Support impact studies on new vaccines including vaccines for rotavirus diarrhoea and pneumonia Support implementation of studies to monitor in the impact of rubella containing vaccines on congenital rubella syndrome in Ghana
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Identify, document and share lessons learned/best practices for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders. Apply innovative approaches and promote good practices to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results. Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of stakeholders.
- Advocacy, networking, and partnership building
Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with development partners, research institutions, academia and sub-national stakeholders through sharing of information and knowledge to enhance programme implementation and build the capacity of stakeholders Participate in the EPI coordination meetings to collaborate with government and other partners on operational planning to integrate and harmonize WHO’s mission and strategies.Required QualificationsEducationEssentialAdvanced university degree in Medicine, Public Health, Epidemiology, or Health Related SciencesDesirableDiploma or Certificate in Vaccinology, Immunisation systems or related fieldsExperienceEssential:
- At least five (5) years’ experience at the national and/or international level in the implementation of immunisation programmes. A previous working experience in low and middle-income countries will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated professional experience working at the country level providing technical advice and services to national counterparts, Ministry of Health, and other external partners on planning, monitoring and evaluation of immunisation programmes including new vaccine introduction.
- Relevant experience in using data for decision making and strong data management skills
- Experience in programme management and working with diverse teams
- Relevant work experience with WHO and/or UN agencies, health cluster partners; experience working in relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
- Demonstrable experience in management of Immunization system and large-scale vaccination campaign.
- Experience is applying, introducing, and evaluating new vaccine introduction, including coordination of vaccine effectiveness studies
- Experience working with National Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) and with WHO will be an asset
- Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of planning, implementation, supervision, and monitoring of immunization services including large-scale vaccination program in response to vaccine preventable disease (VPD) outbreak
- Proven experience in providing capacity building on the use of immunisation data for decision making
- Presentation skills and competencies in communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to solve and explain technical issues and take part in training activities with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner.
- Knowledge of WHO practices and procedures an advantage.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Producing results
LanguagesEssential: Excellent knowledge of English.Desirable: Working knowledge of local languagesREMUNERATIONWHO offers staff in the National Professional officer category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at 289,101.00CEDI subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.Additional Information
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 8th November, 2022