Traditional Medicine Programme Officer at West African Health Organization (WAHO)
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: West African Health Organization (WAHO)
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
The West African Health Organization (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) charged with leadership and coordination of health improvement programs across the ECOWAS region. WAHO is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the underlisted vacant position: Traditional Medicine Programme Officer
• Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Healthcare Delivery, the incumbent shall lead and effectively coordinate the Traditional Medicine programme to support the ECOWAS member states to integrate it in their health systems.
• The incumbent shall be required to consolidate the gains made and introduce other innovative activities, particularly in the areas of harmonization of national policies and regulatory frameworks, development of training tools for traditional medicine practitioners and other health professionals, promotion of dialogue between the practitioners of traditional Medicine and conventional medicine, promotion of research and development of plant medicines, conservation of medicinal plants and protection of indigenous knowledge.
Role And Responsibilities
The incumbent shall:
• Consolidate the gains made in its traditional medicine promotion effort.
• Provide leadership to the Member States on the promotion of rational traditional medicine practices and its integration into their national health systems.
• Promote strategies for the development of national policies, legal frameworks and codes of conduct for the practice of traditional medicine.
• Advocate strongly for the inclusion of traditional medicine in undergraduate courses of medical schools and other healthcare institutions.
• Facilitate the development of structured training programmes in traditional medicine.
• Facilitate the establishment of traditional medicine practitioners’ associations for effective implementation of national and regional policies.
• Organize the compilation of inventories of medicinal plants of proven efficacy.
• Establish an effective and sustainable network of West African scientists to undertake research in traditional medicine.
• Provide guidance on local production of evidence-based traditional medicine products, and work with Member States and other technical units to ensure the registration and inclusion of some products in the national essential drug lists.
• Put in place mechanisms to promote dialogue between practitioners of traditional medicine and other health professionals and scientists.
• Undertake resource mobilization (technical and financial) activities to support the Member States to integrate traditional medicine into their national health systems.
• Collaborate with key regional and global partners engaged in traditional medicine promotion.
WAHO Job description
• Organize workshops, seminars, training and professional development programmes for traditional medicine practitioners.
• Promote ongoing efforts to conserve medicinal plants by the establishment of botanical gardens and protection of intellectual property rights.
• Collaborate with allied professionals in other Departments to undertake related tasks.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Nursing or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university.
• At least 5 to 7 years of progressive responsible experience in the implementation of healthcare programs;
• Knowledge of quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region and Non Communicable Diseases strategy;
• Ability to manage relationship with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
• ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
• ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
• ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
• ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
• ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
• ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance,
• contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 9th April. 2022