Stemming Loader Operator at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To provide daily delivery of stemming material for stemming of blast holes, in a safe and controlled manner.
In This Role You Will
Stemming Loading Pre-Shift and On-Shift Activities
- Attend all pre-shift instruction meetings.
- Communicate with and receive instruction from the Blast Supervisor and follow the specified instruction and daily stemming load plan, prior to the execution of activities.
- Call for off-siding assistance, in the event of inappropriate stemming material.
- Operate the loader during blast mine activities.
- Report on poor quality stemming material to the Drill Supervisor.
- Report any other detected issues to the Maintenance Team/ Supervisor.
- Pick up PVC pipes and arrange them neatly to the next drilling pattern.
- Load, operate and maintain the assigned stemming truck, as instructed by the Drill and Blast supervisors and blast crew team members.
- Perform pre-start inspections of stemming truck systems, equipment and accessories such as tyres, lights, turn signals, and brakes.
- Inspect the truck cabin and ensure that all switches are operational.
- Signal Dispatcher on the two-way communication radio to inform of any detected stemming truck defects or issues.
- Follow laid-down starting procedures and instructions from the blast man.
- Stem charged blast holes efficiently to achieve planned blasting times.
- Verify that all stemming material used is clean with no oversized material.
- Report and escalate all accidents and incidents occurring in the shift immediately to the Dispatcher /Drill Supervisor.
- Raise any stemming truck malfunctions or service requirements to the Supervisor at the before, during or after the shift.
- Meet and / or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Assist in developing peers to perform stemming duties.
- Perform other related activities, as assigned by the Blast Supervisor.
- Operate and drive heavy stemming trucks to transport stemming materials.
- Remain responsible for the collection and haulage of stemming material from loading point to dumping destination, at the correct site locations.
- Drive to and from the pit in a safe, slow and controlled manner.
- Confirm that stemming material is properly loaded and packed into the drill hole, according to safety requirements.
Stemming Loading Post-Shift Handover
- Communicate and provide work status handovers to incoming Stemming Loader Operator.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to the incoming Stemming Loader Operators for the smooth running of Operations.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Liaise with the Blast Supervisor to maintain ongoing communication during all stemming activity.
- Liaise with the Spotter to understand where the stemming truck should be directed to release the stemming material.
- Communicate with Dispatch and other Stemming Loader Operators using communication devices such as two-way radios and / or on-board computers.
- Ensure own hauling shift work meets established statutory standards.
Health and Safety Management
- Utilise stemming loader safely and effectively.
- Follow all safety policies, procedures and legislation.
- Operate in a safe manner and take steps to prevent minimal wear and tear and/or damage to equipment.
- Work without risk or harm to others.
- Inspect work areas and ensure all areas comply with internal Newmont and external regulatory standards.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont stemming loading standards and procedures.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during stemming loading activities to fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- MINCOM Equipment Competency.
- Blasting Certification.
- License E.
- General understanding of mining operations.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 1 – 2 years’ experience working in a stemming/blasting environment, within an active open pit mine.
- Strong administrative skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong concentration skills.
- Sound planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound information monitoring skills.
- Ability to operate a two-way radio and follow instructions.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
- Continuous learning.
- Detail oriented.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety Conscious.
- Team Player.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinchpoints, vibration, slippery surfaces, extreme weather conditions.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th May. 2022