Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- The role delivers the 12 weekly rolling mine plan and the quarterly mine plan as well as supervise the short-term weekly scheduling in accordance with the Business Plan and the Life of Mine (LOM) resource/reserve pipeline to enable the underground operations to carry out safe production.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Develop the 12-week mining schedule with input from all technical and operational stakeholders ensuring alignment to the annual budget.
- Support to generate a yearly forecast schedule every 3 months and provide recommendations to achieve compliance to the budget.
- Supervise the development of the weekly schedule and ensure alignment to the 12-week plan.
- Gather sub departments information to support 12-week scheduling.
- Contribute to resource and reserve estimation through cutoff grade calculation, stope optimimsation analysis and costing.
- Contribute to annual budgeting activities in relation to mine production.
- Ensure the mining physicals against budget and forecast are tracked and validated for reporting requirements.
- Establish, implement, and maintain the drill and blast engineering processes, standards and procedures.
Data Management And Reporting
- Ensure the data integrity of Pitram/dispatch reporting on a daily, weekly, monthly basis and productive tables.
- Supervise the design and development of dispatch processes.
- Manage the overall operation of mine dispatch.
- Generate the 12-week schedule booklets for the technical services and operations teams.
- Ensure creation of quality weekly reports for underground management team.
- Create quality monthly reports for site management team.
Safety Health And Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Recommend improvement activities to achieve and exceed KPI’s.
- Chairs the monthly quarterly pre-commitment and commitment meetings which include tracking all outstanding tasks.
- Support in chairing the daily and weekly production meetings.
- Liaise with Mine Foreman on execution of monthly plan which includes underground mine visit prior to 3 months pre-commitment meeting.
Staff And Contract Management
- Ensure staff resources are maximized; implement and monitor performance and individual development plans for all direct reports, with staff members undertaking appropriate training and development so they are skilled to perform allocated duties efficiently.
- Retain and develop key personnel with adequate succession planning in place for all roles.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Tertiary Qualification in Mine Engineering.
- An advanced degree in Mine Engineering and/or a Mine Foreman Certificate of Competency from the inspectorate division of Minerals Commission, Ghana is a plus.
- Proficient in the use of the design software (DESWIK).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- 7 years working experience in an underground mining environment.
- A minimum of 2 years underground mining operational time in blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
- Preferred previous experience in ventilation and drill and blast engineering.
- Preferred experience in supervising a scheduling engineering team.
- Deadline driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Takes initiative.
- Attentive to detail.
- Works under pressure.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous waterfall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and earmuffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Potential for seismic activity underground.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.