Senior Legal Counsel- General Legal Affairs (AfCFTA) at African Union
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: African Union
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
- Respect for Diversity and Team Work
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Dispute settlement and legal affairs Director
Directorate/Department : Dispute settlement and legal affairs Directorate (AfCFTA)
Number of Direct Reports: 10
Number of Indirect Reports: 6
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Accra, Ghana
Purpose of Job
Advise on general law issues and manage the legal issues of all areas of AfCFTA Secretariat
- Provide advice to ensure the proper implementation of the AfCFTA Staff Regulations and related laws covering the working conditions of AfCFTA Secretariat staff
- Assist in the fundraising process, prepare materials, partnership agreements, advise and document management and compensation agreements, and conclude fundraising transactions
- Mitigate labor disputes, including assisting the General Secretary in handling administrative matters
- Manage, monitor and provide proactive support and advice on all aspects of existing and emerging legal issues and risks
- Advising on data protection legislation and ensuring compliance with the applicable legal framework
- Advise the Legal Department in the performance of its duties on general legal matters.
- Responsible for the overall supervision and management of the Division.
- Ensure creation of an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Provides strategic and tactical advice to, and working as an integral member of AfCFTA Secretariat negotiating teams on particular transactions towards:
- negotiating a relationship;
- drafting and/or revising and advising on the content of contractual documents setting out the terms and conditions of particular relationships;
- negotiating on the specific terms and conditions of contractual documents,
- advising on legal aspects of the termination or wind-down of ongoing relationships.
- Advises on a range of current legal issues impacting AfCFTA Secretariat by reviewing issues, ascertaining applicable and appropriate legal and risk management practices, and recommending courses of action to AfCFTA management.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Academic Requirements And Relevant Experience
Master’s degree or equivalent in international law (public international law, law of international organizations) with Twelve (12) years of relevant and progressively more responsible experience in the legal field.
Seven (7) of these years should be at the senior management level and five (5) should involve a supervisory role
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- high degree of independence, maturity and initiative
- ability to handle challenging questions and difficult stakeholders
- ability to manage time and prioritize work
- be flexible, adaptable and open to change
- Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
Foster Accountability Culture
Communicating with impact
Job Knowledge and information sharing
Drive for Results
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th Feb, 2023