Senior Geologist at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Oil and Gas Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- Exploring for mineable gold deposits within the Ahafo South mining lease aimed at replacing the resource ounces at a rate that exceeds the mining.
- Senior Geologist position is responsible for generating exploration targets for follow up within the Ahafo South/Ahafo North/Akyem mineral concessions.
- The Senior Geologist supports the Director Exploration (Ghana) in the management of all exploration issues related to current and future exploration projects in the Ahafo/Akyem Districts.
- This role aims at allowing drilling and other exploration activities to be undertaken without delays and ensure workplace safety and environmental issues are following the Newmont requirements.
In This Role You Will:
- Oversee and maintain activities within a budget.
- Track monthly expenditure, highlighting and managing variances.
- Prepare the operating budgets and schedules for pipeline projects and when approved ensure accurate monitoring to keep expenditures within approved limits; ensure budgetary constraints are adhered to, thus minimising wastage with respects to over time, contractors’ invoices etc.
- Develop and produce mandatory and statutory reports.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports to the Director Exploration (Ghana), Stage Gate Director (Denver) and all other Stage Gate stakeholders on the Apensu Deeps Project.
- Review of Mineral Resource Figures declared and MIV reporting for the year.
- Geological reports to meet Stage Gate requirements.
- QAQC reports on Assays and Down-hole Surveys
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings to discuss Health and Safety threats.
- Identify and resolve safety issues within area of responsibility.
- Mentor and train Junior Geologists.
- Responsible for the development, appraisal, training and mentoring direct reports by recommending to the Director (Ghana) workshops, conferences, short courses, exhibitions, and seminars etc. that will improve and develop the expertise of staff of the department.
- Inform Mine Planning, Geotechnical, Exploration and Processing on reserve modeling kick offs and variables to model, reconciliations.
- Interpret available geological data (geophysics, geochemistry, drilled holes etc.) with the view to generating exploration targets and planning follow up drilling.
- Determination of sample size and supply of same for metallurgical analysis.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- BSc in Geology/Geological Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in mineral exploration.
- Advance abilities in mapping, sampling drill planning, drilling, and 3D geologic interpretation, 3D modelling and economic evaluation to arrive at decision points in appropriate time frames and with appropriate expenditures. Can apply these abilities and train others in them.
- High level problem solving capability requiring considerable creativity, technical judgment, tact, and initiative.
- Ability to communicate advanced level exploration concepts using integration of geology, geochemist, metallurgy and geophysics often with applied economic criteria.
- An understanding of fundamentals relating to mining and metallurgy methods and costs.
- The ability to prioritize work within a project and organize work on multiple tasks within broader programs.
- Develop new ideas on procedures, targets, systems etc.
- Advance level of written and spoken English.
- Able to communicate information to others including other departments.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database management.
- Advance Problem Solving.
- Results driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Position is located at the Ahafo South mine.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 10th Dec. 2021