Senior Control Systems Technical Supervisor at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.About This RoleThis position reports to and supports the region’s Manager – Control Systems and Instrumentation. The incumbent:
- Provides technical expertise and support for all fixed plant control systems within the site, including Distributed Control System (DCS), Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) & Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) hardware, configuration, troubleshooting, maintenance and upgrades;
- Provides technical expertise and support for all Industrial Control Systems (ICS) networking, telemetry, and all site Operational Technology (OT) infrastructure including the PI Historian suite of applications;
- Leads a team to provide support to control room / operations, metallurgists, maintenance, engineering, and projects departments to safely maximize production capacity across both processing and mining facilities;
- Collaborates with control system vendors to manage minor upgrades, patching and incorporate new products reliably into the site Industrial Control Systems (ICS);
- Leads the implementation and utilization of Newmont standard Industrial Control Systems (ICS) applications for alarm and controller performance, downtime reporting, electronic shift logging;
- Reviews, approves, implements and audits change requests and project support, adhering to existing site configuration standards and change management (MOC) processes;
- Manages site operational expenditure and develops annual Opex/Capex budgets.
- Actively participates in the global Fixed Plant Control (FPC) system community of practice sharing lessons learned and best practices; and
- Where appropriate, recognizes and manages a team to replicate best-practice solutions provided by the global Fixed Plant Control (FPC) system community.
The incumbent has sufficient experience in mineral processing and mining facilities to understand and manage the risks associated with any temporary or permanent changes to the site Industrial Control Systems (ICS).In This Role You WillMonitor the site’s control system infrastructure status and resolve any issues identified.
- Review and inspect control system hardware and implement relevant maintenance strategies for control system hardware and associated instruments.
- Diagnose and resolve operations and maintenance issues related to the industrial control system on site and related operational infrastructure.
Implement temporary and permanent change requests to Industrial Control Systems (ICS) software/application.
- Develop relevant and Industrial Control System specific change management procedures and systems to ensure that all changes are adequately risk assessed and implemented with relevant approvals.
Support projects impacting on site industrial control systems.
- Be involved in process modifications and installations for optimizing production processes and improving on system’s safety.
Monitor, report and improve the key Industrial Control Systems (ICS) performance metrics.
- Improve on key metrics areas such as alarm rates, controller status, reporting systems availability, system availability etc. for the site.
Supervise, guide, mentor, support and develop the Control Systems Specialist team.
- Assign tasks and monitor progress of execution, identify the development needs of the site team and initiate the appropriate interventions to achieve same.
- Consult with other Control System supervisors and engineers across the region and in the global group to leverage on their skills to build capacity within the site.
- Support the site Operational Technology infrastructure and applications, including the PI Historian suite and implement cyber security measures to ensure the integrity of the site’s control systems.
- Participate in the global Process Control Community of Practice (COP) sessions and drive the global control system standards on site.
- Report all incidents and accidents in the work group to enable management to identify areas for improvement in work practices.
- Demonstrate leadership in safety and comply with Newmont Ghana Health and Safety policies and procedures that involve but are not limited to Safety inspections, Safety Training, Annual Refresher, Safety Talks, Incident Reporting and Investigation etc.
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Function as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
Training, Skills & Experience ChecklistFormal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical / Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent Tertiary qualification in related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working with control systems in any related industry.
- Significant and demonstrable knowledge and experience in:
- Yokogawa Centum VP DCS;
- Proficiency in the following systems will be an advantage:
- Rockwell Control / Compact Logix PLCs;
- Citect SCADA Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems.
- Significant exposure:
- and understanding of industrial Ethernet networks;
- to Industrial control Industrial Control Systems (ICS) communications protocols including Modbus Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Open Platform Communications (OPC), Profibus, etc.; and
- Information Technology / Operational Technology (IT/OT) fundamentals including virtual server installations, database management, active directory management, cyber-security.
- and understanding of OsiSoft PI application suite desirable; and
- of industry best practices for industrial control systems.
- Advanced computer literacy and skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving ability.
- High attention to detail and effective communication.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and influence technical resources in the team.
- Ability to interact competently with stakeholders at various levels up to and including site process managers.
- Ability to work effectively with site and broader control system teams, when needed.
- Results Driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Goal orientated.
- Ability to multitask.
- Continuous Learning.
- The position is based on site and occasionally may be spent working remotely.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th June, 2023