Researcher – Economist at International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as the Researcher – Economist.
The position holder would be required to contribute to the design and execution of rigorous evaluations of technologies, interventions and policy reforms related to the food, land and water systems and especially multifunctional land and water systems. Such analyses employ quantitative evidence about human behavior and preferences to learn what works, where, for whom and why. they would also be required to undertake high-quality research in policy design, policy reform, and in the assessment and formulation of strategies to stimulate the catalyzing role of water in development pathways.
Most of this work will take an empirical, micro-econometric focus to support clear messages that speak to policy makers, development funders, and other key stakeholders in civil society. Research findings can lead to the improved design of programs and investments for scaling up and replication in diverse settings.
The position will provide the opportunity to build a research portfolio based on examination of primary and secondary data, and the application of impact evaluation methodologies in developing regions of Asia and Africa.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the design and execute impact assessments related to multifunctional land and water systems innovations (e.g., decision support tool for rice and fish, fish friendly irrigation, integrated production systems in small reservoirs, etc) to assess impacts related to productivity, poverty, food security, gender and youth inclusion, climate change adaptation and mitigation, and environmental outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with research teams to enhance economic analysis in interdisciplinary research projects involving social scientists, hydrologists, agricultural water management researchers and environmental scientists across IWMI’s offices in Africa and Asia.
- Communicate research results for scaling and uptake of innovations to diverse audiences such as policymakers, funders, civil society, and the research community through peer-reviewed articles, research reports and other scientific and communication deliverables (e.g., policy guidelines and policy briefs).
- Develop and lead economic research projects, including microeconomic analysis and impact assessment of new technologies, policies and programs, to support the transformation of food, land and water systems
- Initiate, develop and maintain collaboration with research partners, governments and development investors in Africa and in Asia.
- Fulfil project management duties by working with colleagues in information and knowledge management group, human resources, finance and project management office
- Contribute to capacity building of partners, students and interns.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- PhD in Economics (Development Economics, Agricultural Economics or Environmental Economics), with a specialization in impact evaluation of development projects.
- At least 3 years of postdoctoral research experience;
- Sustained and consistent excellent publications record in international peer-reviewed journals
- Expertise and experience in designing and conducting impact evaluation of water and land innovations, including sample and survey design, questionnaire design, pilot testing, micro-econometric data analysis, quality assurance, hypothesis testing, publication and communication of results.
- Experience with randomized control trials, natural experiments and quasi-experimental impact evaluation methods.
- Demonstrated facility with micro-econometric analysis of household survey data using standard econometric software, such as for hypothesis testing and prediction.
- Good understanding of economic theory and principles and ability to apply such knowledge to water, land and ecosystems management issues as they relate to food security and climate change.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions and stakeholder engagement in multicultural settings with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening
- Experience of living, working and traveling in developing countries.
- Ability to independently design and conduct research;
- Capacity to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural research teams while assuring the quality and relevance of project outcomes and promoting a workplace culture of knowledge sharing and transfer.
- Ability to communicate research to a broad spectrum of stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policymakers, local partners).
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally and to work under conditions common to rural areas of developing countries.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations.
This is a globally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, long-term disability insurance coverage and a transportation allowance. Globally recruited staff who are employed at a duty station outside of their home base/country of nationality will also receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for eligible dependents.
The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period with possible extension.
HOW TO APPLY: Apply for the position by following the application instructions at www.iwmi.org/jobs. We will be accepting applications through 24:00 (IST) September 11, 2022 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 13th September, 2022