Project Manager – Influx and Resettlement Construction at Newmont Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.About This Role
- Are you able to support the daily management, governance, and communications necessary for the successful delivery of assigned projects? This entails managing a large scale technical program that will execute agreed deliverables on schedule and on budget utilizing standard project management methodologies and tools. This position will have direct supervision over contractors and site staff.
- This position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, and control of specific project activities ensuring consistency with department strategy, commitments, and goals.
- To implement, manage, and continuously improve the company’s influx mitigation and long-term sustainability of infrastructural programs for the communities directly impacted by the project, consistent with the company’s business and social investment objectives and principles.
In This Role You WillProject Management
- Liaise with the Owner’s Project Team on the progress and status of project activities.
- Act as primary liaison between the S&ER group and other Owner functions for activities per requirements in the prime Agreement.
- Understand and assume responsibility for Owner’s deliverables to Consultants and Contractors.
- Liaise with the Owner’s Project Team on the progress and status of work, contract letting, and procurement for each scope.
- Ensure that Owner-procured items are being expedited in a timely manner to meet the Project Schedule requirements.
- Monitor project progress, and in particular the critical path, in conjunction with the Owner’s Project Team so that schedule slippage can be monitored, and the effects minimized.
- Review the sequencing of activities, coordination procedures, and systems, and the construction strategy proposed and implemented for the project. Participate in construction reviews in early design efforts.
- Review and approve turnover requirements proposed by contractors prior to handover to the Owner’s Project Team.
- Overview of defect identification and rectification throughout the construction process, and then after handover in conjunction with the Operations team.
- Review the work methods, access, and security requirements proposed by the Consultants/Contractors and promote improvements.
- Establish a system to manage “requests for information” and “technical queries” raised with the Owner’s Project Team to ensure the flow of information is controlled, recorded and timelines are met.
- Review the Owner’s Project Team requirements for temporary facilities, staffing, site services, laydown areas etc. in respect of timing, size and cost.
- Manage all work to meet Newmont requirements for Stage and Gate deliverables including peer review, opportunity and risk management, and Value Improving Practices.
- Provide appropriate planning that supports handover through operational readiness.
- Partner with Project stakeholders (global, regional and site project leads), Business Partners (Full Potential, Value Assurance, Supply Chain, IT, etc.), Consultants and other Program resources to clearly define, track and deliver agreed upon success metrics (i.e., schedule, performance and financial targets).
- Create/Maintain a comprehensive project plan and integrated delivery schedule & timeline utilizing appropriate project management documentation and tools.
- Lead identification of, project risks and effectively manage project related risks seeking help with stakeholders to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Proactively manage and update the risk register, collaborate to identify risks, and develop risk management plans with leads, delivery team, and other stakeholders.
- Drive Performance Management through performance reporting (i.e., schedule slippage, issue escalation, metrics/KPIs, compliance, quality, and financial management) in a proactive manner.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety, environmental and Social Responsibility.
Additional ResponsibilitiesInfrastructure and Urban Planning and Delivery
- Responsible for establishing a pre-project baseline on the state of infrastructure (mainly water and sanitation, waste disposal, energy, transport, population concentration, schools, etc) in the project area; and determining the adequacy of such facilities using national and international standards.
- Responsible for working individually and collectively with relevant District level Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs), and determining priority areas for the company’s support programs that address obligatory influx mitigation.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of the population influx trucking plan in the project-affected communities and assess the effects on existing social amenities and services.
- Represent the company at district level deliberations and social responsibility forum discussions on issues relating to community aspirations and long-term legacy of the company.
- Process community social investment requests, and align all such requests to the expectations of the district medium term development plan.
- Liaise with the district town and country planning unit to determine long-term urban development trend of the project area.
- Responsible for working with third party service providers and consultants to produce a spatial development plan both east and west areas of the project area.
Budgeting and Finance Planning and Reporting
- Lead in the budget preparation and complete projects within specified timetables and expenditure.
- Provide information for inclusion in Owner’s Project Team project reports.
- Review the planned, actual and forecast resource levels for the implementation by Contractor and consultant.
- Develop financial expenditure documents and estimates to support Project.
- Write comprehensive reports for review by senior management.
- Manage project budgets, provide informed forecasts and work closely with appropriate resources to track actual and forecast future expenses.
- Manage cost and budget through spend reporting, forecasting, creation of POs, and handling invoicing. Authority For Expenditure (AFE), Budget development, and other relevant documentation.
Additional ResponsibilitiesSafety and Environment
- Provide oversight of the Contractor’s Health and Safety Program, Environmental Program, Labor Relations, Social Acceptance Program, Site Security, Camp and Site Work Rules and other activities pertaining to the physical site in compliance with Newmont Standards.
- Ensure the highest safety standards attainable are achieved through good safety management. Oversee audits and reviews of the project safety management plan to seek continual improvement.
- Actively participate and contribute to all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Ensure all environmental guidelines and requirements are met.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness and monitor housekeeping standards maintained by the consultants and construction contractors.
Staff and Contract Management
- Ensure staff resources are maximized; implement and monitor.
- Review the Contractor’s plans for controlling equipment, coordinate use of Owner’s supplied equipment and other site resources.
- Act as a “point of contact” between established owner’s team and the EPCM/EPC Contractor as well as other operating functions to ensure minimal disruption to both operations and construction activities.
- Provide input to industrial relations strategies and issues with other project team members.
- Monitor the Scope of Work to ensure that changes are monitored and managed. Provide input when necessary to assist with the evaluation of Consultants and/or Contractor claims and variations.
- Monitor and overview the Quality Assurance procedures implemented by Contractors on the project.
- Maintain direction and review construction contracting strategy proposed and implemented for the project by the Contractor.
- Retain and develop key personnel with adequate for succession planning for all roles.
- Facilitate weekly coordination meetings with contactors/consultants and the Owners Team.
- Follow up on 3Ws and elevate critical issues to leads and Project Director.
- Drive project governance, identify updates necessary to Critical Few leads, stakeholder lists, roles and responsibilities, schedule meetings, and prepare content.
- Collaborate with Change Management resources to ensure smooth transition of project deliverables.
- Apply, document and communicate formal lessons learned throughout the project cycle.
Your Training, Skills & Experience ChecklistFormal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline and/or Construction management.
- Registered Professional Engineer and/or Project Management Certification is desirable.
- Preferred knowledge of Construction and Project Management.
- A minimum of 10 to 15 years working experience in engineering, construction and mining operations.
- A proven track record in project execution and demonstrated commitment to the successful implementation of the project.
- Previous International experience working in a multi-cultural environment is highly regarded.
- Knowledge of Newmont site process flow, geography and management teams will be highly regarded.
- Advance analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advance communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advance computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- The ability to accurately give an account of information pertaining to the performance of outputs.
- Application of effective Project Management in capital execution, including estimating, scheduling, cost engineering, forecasting, and reporting.
- Knowledge and working skills on project management software packages. (Primavera, MS Project, Pert master, SAP, MS Access, Aconex, etc.)
- Detail focused.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- Deadline driven.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Position is located at Ahafo North with frequent domestic and international travels required.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24th October, 2023