Operations Supervisor at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To supervise the underground mine infrastructure operational personnel and activities and manage the operation of the associated production plant and equipment with the aims of delivering optimum mine productivity whilst maintaining the highest standards in regard to safety, efficiency and good housekeeping.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
Underground Mine Infrastructure General Duties
- Supervise operations in the crushing plant and other underground mine infrastructure to ensure they meet the needs of the business.
- Ensure adherence to operating parameters, make decisions on operating conditions / parameters and take necessary corrective action to minimize operational variations.
- Work with the supply chain and maintenance teams to ensure spares, materials and consumables are available to meet the needs of the business.
- Work with the maintenance team to coordinate the maintenance requirements for the underground mine infrastructure to meet the needs of the business.
- Coordinate production shutdowns and start-ups of the underground mine infrastructure to minimize delays.
- Provide input into daily operational issues regarding areas affected to the General Foreman / Management.
- Manage and control costs within own area, where possible (i.e. reduce waste, improve operational control).
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the process plant operation.
- Coordinate and execute procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
- Provide input into the development and review of the underground mine infrastructure operations Standard Task Procedures, management plans and operating procedures and guidelines.
- Other tasks or duties within the individuals skill set as directed by the general foreman, underground maintenance superintendent or senior mine officials.
Underground Mine Infrastructure Operations Supervision
- Oversee the progress made by the shift team and monitor results and quality at each operation stage.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operational and maintenance activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Instruct shift team personnel on safe work practices and conduct work place inspections on a regular basis.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with all Health and Safety, Loss Prevention, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept responsibility for the health and safety of employees under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Manage isolation / de-isolation of the underground mine infrastructure equipment.
- Conduct and attend periodic safety meetings, inspections and audits.
- Oversee that security procedures are followed to minimize the opportunities for theft of material or company property.
- Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice for operational safety.
- Actively promote safety in the workplace both within and external to the operations team.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- Communicating job requirements and work standards to plant operators.
- Providing on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
- Conducting regular face-to-face interview assessments to understand operators’ development needs.
- Assessing and recording operators’ developmental progress when undergoing training in specific areas.
- Performing the first level of performance appraisal.
- Recommending further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- Disciplining poor performance or actions (first level of disciplinary).
- Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
- Prepare shift production and operating reports, complete work requests, prepare purchase / warehouse requisitions and prepare employee time and attendance reports.
- Complete reports accurately detailing production variances, restrictions, hazards, maintenance requirements and corrective actions.
- Produce a daily shift report and submit the report to the General Foreman.
- Produce incident / accident reports, where require.
Plant and Equipment Maintenance
- Coordinate and assist operations and maintenance personnel with troubleshooting plant and equipment defects / malfunctions.
- Perform equipment isolations, in accordance to established procedures.
- Work with the operations and maintenance teams to achieve efficient plant and equipment performance and availability.
- Liaise with the maintenance department in defining maintenance requirements for the underground mine infrastructure and work longer hours when required to maintain production requirements and targets.
TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (Including Professional Registrations)
- Bachelors’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy or Chemistry or equivalent is highly desirable.
- A trade qualification in a mechanical, electrical or automation field is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mineral processing principles and mining industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of crushing plant equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of industrial plant and equipment operations.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial work management processes.
- Previous underground experience will be highly desirable.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in metalliferous mining.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience in an industrial environment.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly with crushing plants.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ ERP and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Capacity planning skills.
- Strong business continuity management skills.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report writing skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Advanced project/programme management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
- Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Displays initiative.
- Neat, tidy and well organised.
- Results orientated.
- Pays attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- Follows through on tasks.
- Team player.
- Able to work to deadlines.
- Flexible in the approach to work.
- Lateral thinker.
- Delivers work to a high standard of quality.
Position in Ahafo. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal, however the employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, slippery surfaces etc.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs, and dust mask based on working conditions.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 12 Nov. 2021