Health & Safety Coordinator at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- Are you able to assist in building, implementing and overseeing the Health and Safety programs and initiatives for the site?
In This Role You Will
Health and Safety Standard , Procedural and Program Development
- Facilitate the development and review of Health and Safety (H&S) standards and procedures in accordance with site, Newmont and local Ghanaian regulations and legislation.
- Work with department managers to design, develop and administer Newmont programs that link to the current H&S strategy to protect employees from work hazards and prevent incidents/accidents.
- Facilitate and promote the adoption of new Health and Safety programs and practices.
Health and Safety Operational Execution
- Facilitate inspections to verify that Health and Safety requirements and governmental legislation are being followed at all times.
- Write reports documenting the findings of the Health and Safety investigations.
- Facilitate Health and Safety audits, risk assessments, reviews and inspections.
- Coordinate the integration of Health and Safety activities into production efforts.
- Administer internal Health and Safety consulting services to Newmont line management.
- Act in the capacity of a team leader for task forces and teams as and when required.
- Partner with site leadership to optimize the on-site safety programs and systems in Akyem.
- Facilitate post-activity reviews to determine if all Akyem employees are adequately trained and coached to perform their roles effectively.
Health and Safety Reporting, Compliance and Continuous Improvement
- Facilitate event investigations to identify control failures, root causes and appropriate corrective actions to be taken.
- Identify potentially hazardous situations and report to the department owner for immediate action and correction.
- Maintain and report on Health and Safety records and statistics.
- Monitor, analyze and suggest improvements from lead and lag Health and Safety indicators.
- Review internal and external H&S reports within the contractor areas that need improvement and implement measures to minimize the occurrence of unfavourable incidents.
- Highlight non-compliance violations perpetrated by employees and bring this to the department head immediate attention.
- Provide coaching and guidance to the safety representatives within their assigned departments.
- Provide guidance to supervisors within their assigned departments.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Health and Safety or Engineering.
- National Examination Board of Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) General Certification in Occupational Health and Safety.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience as a Health and Safety Officer.
- Sound understanding of safety management systems.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant local Health and Safety legislative requirements.
- Sound knowledge and experience in risk management and loss prevention processes.
- Advance analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advance computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Sound conflict management skills.
- Sound information monitoring and management skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Takes initiative.
- Detail focused.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
- The position is located at the Akyem mine.
- The incumbent will work in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th Feb. 2022