Geotechnical Superintendent at Newmont Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana - Oil and Gas Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- The role is responsible for all geotechnical and backfill functions, systems, and processes at Subika Underground. This includes managing two teams, making critical decisions regarding safety and production aspects, and understanding the technical details of both functions’ processes and systems.
In This Role You Will
Geotechnical Operational Management and Execution
- Be responsible for establishing and maintaining systems and processes to ensure compliance with the Newmont Subika Ground Control Management Plan (GCMP), Ground Control Standards, and the Fatality Risk management processes.
- Establish, implement, document, and maintain standards, systems, and processes to ensure ongoing updates to an integrated mine geotechnical model, containing interpretations of the geotechnical, hydrogeological, rock mass properties and behaviour data.
- Establish, implement, document, and maintain standards, systems and procedures for data collection, data management, data analysis, excavation design and mine design validation.
- Ensure compliance to design by monitoring actual excavations against the designs and collaborating with relevant stakeholders further to improve future designs, planning and execution activities.
- Ensure adequate geotechnical consideration is captured in all aspects of mine design, planning and scheduling, including short, medium, and long-range mine planning and Stage gate studies.
Backfill Operational Management and Execution
- Establish and maintain systems and processes to ensure compliance with the Newmont Subika Backfill Management Plan (BMP), the Newmont Underground Backfill Standard and Fatality risk management processes.
- Establish, implement, document, maintain and update backfill standards, systems and processes pertaining to:
- Suitable rockfill material sources, particularly liaising between the Technical Services and Mine Operations teams.
- Optimisation of the rockfill delivery system.
- Backfill health and evolution of cavity profile.
- Establishing, implementing, documenting and maintaining the backfill quality control system, particularly collection, management and documentation of rockfill placed versus ore extraction.
- Collaborate with Mining operations to ensure backfill activities are carried out safely in accordance with plan and budget.
- Ensure that effective processes exist for backfill to enable auditing and review of the mine design plan.
- Ensure backfill considerations are captured in all aspects of mine design, planning and scheduling.
- Establish, implement, document, and maintain backfill systems that monitor progress against the business plan and quarterly forecast.
- Identify and apply best practices, and continuous improvement to improve safety, increase efficiency, improve compliance to plan and reduce cost.
Functional Planning and Scheduling
- Develop functional work plans, operating budgets, data acquisition and analysis campaigns for all short and long-term deliverables.
- Be responsible for achieving annual business plans and quarterly forecast related to geotechnical and backfill through ongoing monitoring and improvement.
- Ensure all required periodic monthly, bi-annual and annual reporting is completed and distributed on time.
- Generate operating and capital budgets for annual business planning.
- Generate capital requests such as Applications for Expenditure (AFE’s) and justification documentation.
- Document all geotechnical and backfill modelling parameters relevant to the generation of reserves and resources and annual business plans.
Safety and Environment
- The Superintendent Geotechnical and Backfill is responsible for many aspects that relate directly to safe production activities and will be responsible for making final decisions on the following in conjunction with the Technical Services and Productions Managers:
- Mine extraction sequencing, which determines the buildup of stresses and rock behaviour such as seismicity.
- Ground support selection to ensure safe working conditions for underground workers.
- The appropriate response to ground behaviour such as rockfalls and seismicity.
- Ensure the filling strategy is followed to ensure:
- The integrity of the sill pillar, which require access for the life of mine.
- Stope hanging wall stability, as excessive voids development could result in an air blast.
- Rock fragmentation is suitable for the waste passes to limit hang-ups, which could cause the development of voids and impact on the sill pillar and hanging wall stability.
- Manage and coordinate the Geotechnical and Backfill teams to ensure seamless integration with the other technical and operations departments.
- Ensure geotechnical and backfill staff are adequately trained, supervised, and developed through coaching, mentoring, and training.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering.
- Strong knowledge of Mine design software, Dips, Unwedge, Phase2, Map3D, Deswik.
- Minimum of 10 years’ working experience in Geotechnical Engineering, preferably in a senior capacity on an operational mine.
- Experience in supervising a team is preferred.
- Extensive geotechnical engineering experience in underground mines, preferably in deeper mines with stress difficulties.
- A high level of competence in underground excavation design, rockfill design, risk management, and in the use of relevant geotechnical and backfill software.
- Proven project management skill set applied in a cross-functional setting.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Proactive and takes Initiative.
- Results driven.
- Attentive to detail.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and earmuffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Newmont strongly encourages all applicants to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as the vaccine is available to you as Newmont considers vaccination to be a vital tool in the fight against the pandemic. Proof of vaccination is required for entry to certain Newmont locations and for business travel, unless an exemption is required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 18th April. 2022