Geotechnical Engineer at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To provide geotechnical expertise regarding mine design, schedule and ground support for all planning horizons with the objective of safe stable mine operations.
In This Role You Will
- Evaluate and propose optimum geotechnical engineering solutions for problematic situations which threaten the achievement of planned objectives.
- Assess geotechnical risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Conduct analysis of stope and pillar designs, mining sequencing, ground support design.
- Participate in business improvement opportunities.
- Implement management tools for the geotechnical process workflow.
- Contribute to, review, audit and sign off geotechnical databases and models.
Safety Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Africa’s safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Ensure maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussing and resolving of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Prepare monthly geotechnical reports which includes quality of installation and performance of ground support along with technical review of all mine planning horizons.
- Contribute to statutory reporting activities related to ground support.
- Contribute towards budget preparation activities for the geotechnical team which include ground management review of proposed business plan.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering, civil engineering or geological engineering.
- Preferred knowledge of Mine design software, Dips, Unwedge, Phase 2, Map3D programs.
- Minimum of 4 – 5 years’ working in an underground mining environment, of this is,
- preferred to have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in an underground mining operational environment.
- preferred an undergraduate experience in hard rock underground metalliferous mining environment.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication(written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office(World, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Deadline driven
- Results driven.
- Safety conscious.
- Attentive to detail.
- Combination of office and underground mining conditions.
- Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
- Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
- Noise exposure within the requirements for ear plugs or/and ear muffs.
- Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
- Potential for seismic activity underground.
- UG conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
- Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
- Working with corrosive chemicals.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 27th December, 2023