Fixed Plant Operator – Underground at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To operate the underground mine infrastructure plant and equipment with the aims of delivering optimum mine productivity whilst maintaining the highest standards in regard to safety, efficiency and good housekeeping.
In This Role You Will
Underground mine infrastructure general duties
- Operate the crushing plant, control systems and other underground mine infrastructure to ensure they are working safely and efficiently to meet the needs of the business.
- Ensure adherence to operating parameters, follow instructions from the supervisor and make the required decisions on operating conditions / parameters and take necessary corrective action to minimize operational variations.
- Advise the supervisor of the requirement for spares, materials and consumables and assist with maintaining such items in an orderly manner.
- Notify the supervisor of any detectable and / or prolonged production variance.
- Coordinate production shutdowns and start-ups of the underground mine infrastructure to minimize delays.
- Maintain a high housekeeping standard in the areas of underground mine infrastructure.
- Provide input into daily operational issues regarding areas affected to the Operations Supervisor / General Foreman.
- Manage and control costs within own area, where possible (i.e. reduce waste, improve operational control).
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the underground mine operation.
- Assist with the coordination and execution of procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
- Complete all tasks identified in the underground mine infrastructure operations Management Operating System (MOS) elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- Provide input into the development and review of the underground mine infrastructure operations STPs, management plans and operating procedures and guidelines.
- Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to assist with the efficient planning and execution of maintenance activities and plant shutdowns.
- Assist with the efficient management of spare parts, materials and consumables.
- Assist with the proper use, storage and maintenance of company tooling.
- Other tasks or duties within the individuals skill set as directed by the Supervisor, General foreman or senior mine officials.
Underground mine infrastructure operations
- Act in the position of Operations Supervisor as and when required to do so in order to provide consistent and continuous plant operation.
- Oversee the plant operation during each shift and monitor results and quality at each operation stage.
- Conduct plant and equipment inspections as required.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operational and maintenance activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Provide on-the-job training as required.
- Participate in training programs as required.
- Follow shift and team instructions and safe work practices and conduct work place inspections on a regular basis by:
- Inspecting and examining each operating area within their scope of responsibility regularly.
- Issuing continuous and ongoing information to the supervisor throughout the work period.
- Inspecting primary production and auxiliary equipment regularly for maintenance integrity.
- Inspecting each operating area for housekeeping requirements, assist wherever possible to maintain high housekeeping standards and ensure that situations beyond ones control are reported to the supervisor in a timely manner.
- Reviewing operating reports / log sheets throughout regular scheduled shifts and taking corrective action to maintain operating parameters.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept responsibility for one’s own health and safety.
- Provide input to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Assist with the isolation / de-isolation of the underground mine infrastructure equipment.
- Attend and participate in periodic safety meetings, inspections and audits.
- Comply with all security procedures to minimize the opportunities for theft of material or company property.
- Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide advice for operational safety.
- Actively promote safety in the workplace both within and external to the operations team.
Reporting and communication
- Participate in shift handover meetings with the relevant shift / crew and transfer applicable information.
- Communicate job requirements and work standards to the maintenance and operations team members.
- Prepare shift production and operating reports, complete work requests, and prepare employee time sheets and attendance reports.
- Complete reports accurately detailing production variances, restrictions, hazards, maintenance requirements and corrective actions.
- Produce a daily shift report and submit the report to the Operations supervisor.
- Assist with the compilation of incident / accident reports, where required.
- Enhance communication through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
Plant and equipment maintenance
- Assist operations and maintenance personnel with troubleshooting plant and equipment defects / malfunctions.
- Perform equipment isolations if authorized, as and when required to do so in accordance to established procedures.
- Work with the operations and maintenance teams to achieve efficient plant and equipment performance and availability.
- Work with operations and maintenance personnel to efficiently rectify plant and equipment breakdowns.
- Assist the maintenance personnel in the performance of maintenance activities as and when required.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
- Bachelors’ degree in Extractive Metallurgy, Mining, Chemistry, Engineering or related field is highly desirable.
- Completion of WASSCE or equivalent is essential.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mineral processing principles and mining industry standards.
- Knowledge of crushing plant equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of industrial plant and equipment operations.
- Previous underground experience will be highly desirable.
- Minimum of 1 year working experience with the operation of industrial process equipment is essential.
- Experience in metalliferous mining is highly desirable.
- Supervisory experience in an industrial environment would be advantageous.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly with crushing plants is highly desirable.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP.
- Information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report writing skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information.
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Display initiative.
- Neat, tidy and well organised.
- Results orientated.
- Be proactive.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Work well under pressure.
- Team player.
- Deliver work to a high standard of quality.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal, however the employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, slippery surfaces etc.
- Personal rotective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs, and dust mask based on working conditions.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 11th April. 2022