EpiC Ghana Surveillance Specialist at FHI 360
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: FHI 360
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) is an eight-year (2019–2027) global health initiative project funded by U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The project receives Global Health Security funding to strengthen global, regional, and local public health systems to effectively prevent, detect, and respond to infectious diseases, building on broad experience and existing capabilities that align with GHS priorities, National Action Plans for Health Security (NAPHS), and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) goals. EpiC has presence in more than 60 countries and extensive breadth and depth of technical experience in the 10 priority GHS technical areas, FHI 360 and our consortium partners are ready to rapidly implement GHS programming.We are seeking to employ a Surveillance Specialist to lead our EpiC GHS work in Ghana.Job Summary:The Surveillance Specialist (SS) will manage and support the One Health activities in Ghana to enhance surveillance for zoonotic diseases detection control. In coordination with the AMU/AMR Advisor, the SS will support the antimicrobial use (AMU) and antimicrobial resistance (AMR) work and serve as advisor for health systems interoperability. The SS will monitor the surveillance systems component in Ghana for the USAID Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) project that serves the Global Health Security Agenda. The SS will also be responsible for the overall Monitoring & Evaluation and reporting of Global Health Security (GHS) areas to ensure achievement of EpiC’s targets. The work will focus primarily on public health systems but may include private health and other non-governmental diagnostic facilities (laboratories and point-of-care facilities). The position will be based in Accra, Ghana. Specific responsibilities include:Accountabilities:
- Support the Country Team Lead and local EpiC colleagues in collaborating with health officials of related departments of MOH, national and regional institutions for project design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Serve as focal point person for surveillance systems strengthening component, including leading planning, development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of surveillance related project activities.
- Provide technical assistance to project partners in Ghana in implementation of surveillance related activities.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities.
- In coordination with other local stakeholders, provide support to review and update existing community-based surveillance systems and toolkits.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen national expertise to manage the DHIS 2 platform and produce surveillance reports.
- Support the Ghana Country Team Lead in representing EpiC on national technical working groups, as appropriate, and maintain contacts with other organizations engaged in GHSA activities.
- Close coordination with EpiC’s global surveillance team working on GHSA to ensure synergies and experience sharing within EpiC and across EpiC’s countries.
- Taking lead in the monitoring and evaluation of the surveillance systems strengthening component to ensure that evidence is gathered, and milestones are met.
- Advise, plan, develop, coordinate, and implement the programmatic workplan related to infectious disease surveillance, laboratory surveillance of epidemic- and pandemic-prone diseases.
- Provide technical recommendations for the implementation of prevention and control measures for diseases with epidemic and pandemic potential, particularly with regard to surveillance and response and in line with the International Health Regulations (IHR).
- Support capacity building in host countries and institutions to enhance Epidemiological surveillance, alert, and response systems, at various levels, to detect, characterize, deploy laboratory surveillance tools, and respond to epidemics.
- Design and implement programs to support capacity building of host country staff for outbreak investigation.
- Provide technical assistance and support to the One Health Secretariat in sharing of data on One Health platform.
- Lead the development of guidelines and monitor referral laboratories on sample collections, packaging, and transporting.
- Participate in One Health stakeholders’ meetings and share updates on targets and results.
- Contribute to the preparation of related parts of required reports to FHI 360 and USAID.
- Project Design Implementation:
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Monitors project deliverables and reports to supervisors.
- Leads technical project activities and sub activities and assists with project implementation.
- May implement components of the technical portions of the project plan.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Functions as the technical lead with oversight of project technical administrative and finance compliance, technical deliverables, and team management, (includes projects and consultants).
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with providing technical support for research studies.
- Knowledge of the GHS field in general and working knowledge of monitoring and evaluation techniques. Should be skilled in facilitation, coordination, report writing and have knack for numbers.
- Clear understanding of the monitoring and evaluation processes, acquired through both practical and academic experience.
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of field-based surveillance methodology including setting up surveillance system, analysis of epidemiologic investigation data utilizing new methodologies or existing techniques.
- Development of scope of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Broader knowledge of quality standards
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
- Strong expertise in GHS technical and programmatic areas.
- Excellent quantitative, qualitative, and analytical skills.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require review of various factors.
- Exercises good judgment with selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Decisions may cause delays and affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Serves as team lead and may mentor other lower-level personnel.
- Reports to Project Director.
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, Bio-statistics, Demography and Population studies or other related field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- At least 6+ years of relevant working in national/regional infectious disease surveillance.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% – 25%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24th October, 2023