Engineering Manager, Underground at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To plan, conduct, and lead studies and projects in the areas of improving practices, alternatives evaluation, design and engineering, procurement and contracts, and cost/scheduling.
- Responsible for the leadership of Consultants and Business Teams to complete work within time and cost parameters and fit for purpose.
- To maintain project engineering and project management agreed standards, guidance, and procedures under the Investment System.
- To define and maintain project engineering and project management best practices.
In This Role You Will:
Project Engineering and Project Management Services
- Support studies and projects, Merger & Acquisition activities, operations, and regional project teams.
- Ensure adherence to Newmont’s global and regional standards, processes, systems, and procedures. Support the development of project deliverables and improvement of the Investment System process.
- Support the development, implementation and management of document, and knowledge management. Support and lead risk and opportunity workshops for studies and projects.
- Coordinate and ensure the application of value improvement practices (VIP’s) on studies and projects. Support development of Project Engineers, Study Managers and Engineering Managers between Projects and Corporate pool.
- Support the updating of the Project Management Guidebook and the development of “Fit for Purpose” design guidelines and support the efforts to promote fit for purpose engineering.
Study Management (Pre-feasibility and Feasibility)
- Establish the study team, including organization, roles and responsibilities, and division of responsibilities (RACI Charts).
- Drive and coordinate creation of business objectives and business cases based on the Company’s business strategy.
- Develop project options and business case evaluations employing the Newmont Investment System while incorporating cross-functional elements.
- Work closely with Functional Leads from all areas of the company, including senior management. Evaluate prospects using Newmont Investment Systems protocols and best practices.
- Manage and ensure completion of all Newmont Investment System requirements for stage deliverables, gate peer reviews, application of opportunity and risk assessment practices, and use of Value Improving Practices.
- Understand risk management and have a mitigation mindset.
- Review, evaluate, approve, and manage contracts for work to be performed by consultants and contractors.
- Manage budgets, study progress and performance, and change management.
- Establish the project team, including organization, roles and responsibilities, and division of responsibilities (RACI Charts)
- Monitor and report safety and environment standards and directs mitigation strategies supporting a work environment that is protective of human health and the environment in accordance with Newmont standards.
- Direct the execution planning, design, engineering, procurement, cost, scheduling, and construction activities of a business by coordinating efforts of various internal departments, project development teams and outside consulting resources.
- Oversee development of proposals and cost estimates, estimates business needs including equipment, materials and personnel, schedules work to meet completion dates and technical specifications.
- Review, evaluate and approve contracts for work to be performed by consultants and outside contractors; monitors budgets, approves plans and designs and resolve issues as they arise.
- Monitor all work in progress to ensure that quality and engineering standards are met and that designs are effective through the entire process, approves changes to designs or schedules, as necessary.
- Provide technical direction in the resolution of problems associated with the design, engineering, and construction of the project. Problems will vary in severity and require an advanced knowledge of project management to ensure adequate resolution.
- Provide technical assistance to operating personnel during start-up phase, including management of personnel. Manage and ensure completion of all Newmont Stage and Gate requirements for stage deliverables, gate peer reviews, application of opportunity and risk assessment practices, and use of Value Improving practices.
- Understand and manage business with risk management mindset to identify and manage risks.
- Provide safety leadership to the project.
- Ensure all project control procedures are in place and are in compliance with corporate policy and standards.
- Review specifications, tender submissions, tender analysis, post tender correspondence and recommendations generated for the project.
- Verify compliance with Newmont’s Policies and Procedures by visitors, consultants, and contractors.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Engineering.
- A proven track record in project execution and solid mine/process operation knowledge and will have demonstrated a commitment to the successful implementation of an investment.
- Minimum 12 years’ experience in project engineering management in a mining environment.
- Ability to think strategically, comfortable moving between strategic and tactical is a requirement of the role.
- Ability to influence and drive change.
- Ability to mentor, coach, and direct workgroup by establishing stretch goals for development of staff and promotion of quality study and project management.
- Ability to consult and provide superior customer service to be an effective service provider.
- Advance analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advance communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advance computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Conflict management and influencing skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Attention to detail.
- Position is located at the Akyem Underground.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described, are a representation of those that must be met by an employee to efficiently perform in this role.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 3rd Jan. 2022