Construction Manager – Akyem Underground at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Construction/Real Estate Jobs in Ghana - Newmont Inc Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To manage all aspects of project construction and EPC / EPCM interaction/oversight for the Akyem Underground project to ensure project field construction activities are executed appropriately and effectively to Newmont social, community, environmental, opportunity & risk, and safety & health standards.
In This Role You Will:
Reporting and Communication
- Represent the Owner’s Project Team and communicate on the progress and status of construction works and all other field and site construction activities.
- Act as primary liaison with the Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management (EPC/EPCM) contractor’s team, and manage site activities per requirements in the contracts agreement.
- Report on the progress and status of cost, schedule and quality key performance areas.
- Attend contractor meetings, safety meetings, Owner’s Team meetings and other meetings as required.
- Establish a system to manage “Requests for information” and “Technical queries” with the Owner’s Project Team to ensure the flow of information is controlled, recorded and time frames are met.
Safety, Health and Environment Compliance
- Eliminate all workplace injuries and illness through a focus on behaviors, leadership and risk management.
- Provide oversight of the EPCM / construction contractors’ Health, Safety and Environmental Programs, Labor Relations, Social Acceptance Programs, Site Security, Camp and Site Work Rules, and other activities pertaining to the physical site in compliance with Newmont Standards.
- Ensure the highest safety standards attainable are achieved through good safety management associated with the construction. Oversee audits and reviews of the project safety management plan to seek continual improvement.
- Ensure all Safety, Health and environmental guidelines and requirements are met.
- Monitor housekeeping standards maintained by the construction contractors on the site.
- Actively participate in all Newmont safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to safety and environmental practices.
- Identify potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and make resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Review the sequencing of activities, coordination procedures and systems, and the construction strategy proposed and implemented for the project.
- Participate in construction reviews in early design efforts.
- Review the Owner’s Project Team scope and requirements for facilities, site services, laydown areas etc. in respect of timing, size and cost.
- Understand and assume responsibility for Owner’s deliverables to the Construction Contractors including construction power, water, facilities, permits, and other site resources.
- Ensure that Owner procured items is being expedited in a timely manner to meet the Project Schedule requirements.
- Monitor construction progress, and in particular the critical path, in conjunction with other members of the Owner’s Project Team so that schedule slippage can be monitored, and the effects minimized.
- Monitor the Scope of Work to ensure that changes are tracked and managed. Provide input when necessary, to assist with the evaluation of construction contractor claims and variations.
- Manage all work to meet Newmont requirements for Stage Gate deliverables including peer review, opportunity and risk management, and Value Improving Practices.
- Coordinate all aspects of project commissioning, startup, and turn-over to operations in conjunction with the Project Manager.
- Maintain direction and review the construction contracting strategy proposed and implemented for the project by the construction contractors.
- Review the construction contractors’ plans for controlling resources and other high cost equipment; coordinate use of Owner’s supplied equipment and other site resources.
- Monitor and overview the Quality Assurance procedures implemented by construction contractors on the project.
- Review the process to optimize outages and tie-ins to existing infrastructure thereby improving productivity, minimizing safety risks and integrate with the Project Schedule.
- Overview pre-commissioning undertaken by the construction contractors prior to handover to the Owner’s Project Team Ensuring alignment with Business Readiness activities.
- Overview defect identification and rectification throughout the construction and pre-commissioning process, and then after handover in conjunction with the Project Director.
- Review the work methods, access and security requirements proposed by the construction contractors and promote improvements.
- Build the EPCM/construction team and develop a talent pipeline ensuring training and development programs are implemented to meet localization plan.
- Improve the workforce diversity in line with Newmont’s strategy.
- Where required or appropriate represents the Company in dealings with external agencies, contractors, consultants and suppliers.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Engineering discipline and/or Construction Management with a project management qualification.
- With 10 years practical experience in engineering, construction and mining operations.
- Advance analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advance communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advance computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Strong leadership and management presentation skills.
- Advance planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Knowledge in gold processing plant commissioning.
- Develop and manage diverse teams consisting of owner, contractor and operator.
- Takes initiative.
- Safety conscious.
- Attention to detail.
- Results driven.
- The position is located in Akyem – Underground.
- Executing the work on schedule.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 10th March. 2022