Communications and External Relations Manager at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising/Media Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
Looking for a role where you can make a difference?
You will lead the strategic development and execution of the Mine’s communications as well as government and external relations strategies to enhance the brand reputation of the mine, enhance employee and external stakeholder engagement and secure the social acceptance to operate and obtain access to approvals and lands required for operations.
Main Responsibility Areas Will Include
- Communications and External Relations Strategy
- Brand and Reputation Management
- Employee Communications
- Safety Health and Environment
- Stakeholder Management
- Staff Supervision
In This Role You Will
Communications and External Relations Strategy
- Provide strategic planning and initiatives to strengthen the image and reputation of the Akyem mine, as well as Newmont’s operations and projects in Ghana through employee and stakeholder engagement.
- Manage corporate information and activities professionally.
- Manage and lead the Akyem mine’s Communications and External Relations Department in developing and implementing a strategy aligned with the regional and global communications strategy.
- Supervise and develop appropriate communications materials and key messaging on business activities, change initiatives, site operational performance, programmes, initiatives and special events for multiple communications channels/platforms, including social and digital channels.
- Collaborate in developing and implementing Newmont’s ‘Living our Values’ strategy to rally employees and contractors around the brand and values and embed them.
- Monitor and evaluate communications programme performance and effectiveness.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy that supports the business strategy and objectives, organisational change initiatives, employee engagement and assist company leadership in disseminating key information.
- Provide professional communication consulting service to site departments, projects and change initiatives.
Brand and Reputation Management
- Ensure alignment and execution of Newmont’s brand guidelines and communications.
- Respond to and manage media, NGOs/CSOs and other public groups and serve as primary media contact and spokesperson for the Mine.
- Proactively identify and develop strategies and messages to manage emerging and escalating issues and crisis situations in conjunction with internal subject matter experts, relevant departments and Regional Communications and External Relations team.
- Liaise with external stakeholders (media, CSO’s, NGO’s and government as relevant to the site catchment area) to raise awareness and promote the activities of the Akyem mine and the Newmont Akyem Foundation.
- Build networks with relevant external stakeholders to strengthen the Mine’s external relations.
- Provide strategic communications support to Akyem leadership team members, particularly the General Manager and Site Sustainability team.
Safety Health and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment regarding safety and environmental practices.
- Identify potential hazards and ensure that appropriate preventive and remedial actions are taken.
- Maintain high standards of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety issues at regular meetings.
- Conduct regular research to enhance knowledge of the attitudes, opinions, and aspirations of the Mine.
- Communicate the relevance and application of research findings to the Director, Communication and External Relations.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Masters’ Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, International Relations, English or a related degree.
- 10 – 15 years’ work experience in Public Relations, Communications, Media Relations or Journalism preferably in the extractive industry or multinational firm and at managerial level.
- Membership of a Professional Public Relations / Communications Institution is an added advantage.
- Strong media relations management skills.
- Spokesperson and public speaking skills.
- Social media and digital communications use and management skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced Communication skills.
- Customer focused.
- Results driven.
- Attentive to detail.
- Creates documents that are error free.
- The position is located at our Akyem mine.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th December, 2023