Chief Surveyor at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
To lead and control the efficient development and implementation of operating mine survey activities to the highest safety, environmental, social and production standards, in accordance with the business plan.
In This Role You Will
Budgeting and Cost Control
- Determine annual Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) and Operational Expenditure (OPEX) requirements for the Mine Survey area.
- Obtain sign off and approval of Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) and Operational Expenditure (OPEX) budgets from the Chief Mining Engineer.
- Monitor the financial performance of the Mine Survey area against established budgets and report on any detected variances to management.
Communication and Collaboration
- Maintain the focus of the survey group by providing continuous support, guidance and communication to ensure that the Mine Plan is achieved.
- Support other groups and departments, as necessary.
- Communicate and liaise with several departments at senior levels and with external contractors.
Health and Safety Management
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Manage the adherence of Mine Survey team to all health and safety protocols, under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Oversee and manage site-wide survey compliance through the delivery of statutory inspections and reports.
- Ensure that applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs are implemented.
- Lead and support the further training and development of all Mine Survey personnel.
- Coordinate the work of surveying and field assistants and monitor their outputs for quality control.
- Manage allocated staff member(s)
Survey Data Management and Reporting
- Liaise with other key mining departments in the collection and aggregation of key data.
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate and quality driven data.
- Conduct final reviews of survey data by examining the accuracy and integrity thereof, before signing off the survey.
- Deliver survey volumes to management by providing timely and accurate reports to enable effective decision making.
- Sign off on volume computations derived from data analyses.
- Reconcile month-end production statistics and volumes into a consolidated report.
- Reconcile, review and signoff on all contractor survey claims on development and stope volumetrics.
- Periodic estimation of stope and development overbreak and report on variance for the attention of the contractors and the chief mining engineer.
- Provide leadership within the Mine Surveying team by coordinating resources and developing work schedules for all survey activities in the Mine Survey sections.
- Maximize effective ore and waste movement by coordinating routine surveys with the team to measure haul roads, the mining pit and product stockpiles.
- Inspect surveys thoroughly to determine whether the pit and other mine sites are safe for drilling.
- Manage surface surveying of all objects and structures.
- Oversee the Quality Assurance / Quality Check process on pit, waste dump, stockpile, drone and prism surveys.
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of all ore, waste and stockpile movements.
- Monitor design implementations and make any incremental adjustments, as required.
- Manage survey instruments Manage survey instruments and provide motivations for new survey equipment requirements to the Chief Mining Engineer.
- Plan and update production surveys, and ensure they are executed according to short term production planning requests, to achieve the mine’s long-term targets.
- Conceptualize and develop detailed plans regarding the operating mine survey and associated support activities.
- Supervise the preparation of survey plans, maps and charts.
- Establish and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Standard Task Procedures (STP’s) and Quality Assurance / Quality Checks (QA/QC) for all survey tasks.
- Work in collaboration with the Surveyors on detailed Mine topographical and spatial designs to predict earthwork movements and associated costs.
- Provide surveying input and expertise to facilitate the preparation of the monthly production plan.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist:
- Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ degree in Geodetic / Geomatic Engineering / Mine Surveying.
- Registered surveyor certification with the Ghana Institution of Surveyors (GhIS) will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years’ working experience in the Mine Surveying field within an Underground mining environment.
- Good knowledge of computer mine planning / surveying systems. Cad drafting systems (Deswik), Microsoft office suite, GPS surveying practices and survey work. Must be able to perform various design work and volume calculations.
- Advance technical acumen in survey equipment, system and software.
- Advance technical trouble shooting / fault finding.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project, Mine Planning / surveying systems.
- Effective information monitoring and management skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Effective people management skills.
- Sound coaching and mentoring skills.
- Effective project management skills.
- Sound time management skills.
- Effective report writing skills.
- Design and volume calculations.
- 3D Visualization skills preferably Deswik CAD.
- Delivers accurate work.
- Goal oriented.
- Takes initiative.
- Safety conscious.
- Customer focused.
- Attention to details.
- Work well under pressure.
- Position is located at the Akyem Underground mine.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally must work overtime
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. As part of our diversity efforts. females are encouraged to apply.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected] .
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 15th December, 2022