Chief Mine Engineer at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To direct underground mining engineering and technical personnel and coordinate major and complex operating requirements with technical plans and activities.
In This Role You Will
- Prepare, review, and evaluate reserves, mine designs, mine plans, ore control, project feasibility and productivity studies.
- Ensure that the site mining operations are planned and scheduled in a manner that maximizes the value of the resource whilst considering safety, business risk and market demand.
- Oversee underground mine design and optimization, includes development and stopping.
- Prepare strategic plan for the underground operations that optimizes financial results and achieves site goals and objectives.
- Coordinate site planning and participates in regional and corporate planning.
Technical Services Management
- Manage all Underground Mine Technical Service activities to achieve objectives with respect to safety,
- production and costs.
- Provide staff development and act as mentor to junior mining engineers.
- Coordinate work of Mine Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Survey and Technical Applications staff.
- Develop, monitor, and coordinate a team of mining staff professionals.
Safety Health and Environment
- Ensure Underground safety objectives and standards are achieved, and that the operation is in compliance with safety and environmental laws.
- Participate in Underground risk assessment and risk mitigation plans.
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure identification of potential hazards and that action is appropriately taken.
- Ensure maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety, and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and ensure the resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
Financial Planning and Management
- Develop Underground production budgets and provides technical resources to enable those budgets to be met or exceeded.
- Oversee short term and long-term production scheduling, budgeting, analysis and control of costs, and cutoff grades.
- Manage Underground planning and budgeting efforts to achieve optimal financial results.
- Monitor reconciliation of block model to actual production and predicted to actual equipment requirements and take corrective action where necessary.
- Oversee production accounting, administration of truck dispatching systems, stockpile inventory accounting, mine equipment studies, blast pattern design, productivity analyses / improvement studies, compilation, and analysis of technical data.
- Investigate technology improvements and provide strategic direction to the mining operations as to how and when new technologies can be used.
- Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
- Drive the safe, environmentally responsible, efficient, and cost-effective operation of the Mine Engineering Department while creating a culture of accountability and continuous improvement.
- Prepare departmental statements and reports timely and accurately to meet Newmont’s requirements, policies, and quality standards.
- Preparation of statutory reports and statements.
Your Training, Skills And Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Mining Engineering.
- A MINCOM Underground Mine Manager certification is preferred.
- Minimum 12 years of experience in underground mining.
- In-depth experience in Mine Planning and Design, Mine Scheduling and Mine Operations at large mining sites.
- Minimum of 5 years supervising multi-disciplinary teams.
- Preferred a minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground mining operational time such as blasting, drilling, haulage and service crew works.
Technical/ Commercial Skills
- Ability to review both Surface and Underground Infrastructure and Facilities Engineering designs with respect to their fitness for purpose and operational readiness.
- Ability to demonstrate business acumen and provide and drive commercially astute initiatives and Value Engineering solutions for Infrastructure development.
- Ability to visualize and communicate mine designs using specialised mine design software.
- Proven leadership and strong negotiation skills.
- Advanced level of technical communications, personal interaction and presentations skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other departments.
- Communicating in multiple layers.
- Safety conscious.
- Takes initiative.
- Results driven.
- Attentive to detail and Accurate.
- The position is in Akyem.
We understand no candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24th October, 2023