Blast Helper at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About This Role:
- To perform technical activities to Newmont in charging blastholes in a safe and controlled manner.
In This Role You Will:
Blast Execution Planning
- Communicate with and receive instruction from the Blasting Supervisor and follow the specified instruction and charging plan, prior to the execution of activities.
- Conduct field tests in determining the depth of the blast hole and input data into dip-plus to determine the quantity and type of the bulk explosive required.
- Reconcile blasting initiation product quantities before obtaining final sign off from the Supervisor.
- Conduct pre-blast tests on relevant systems, in the case of electronic detonation.
- Undertake the priming of all blast holes.
- Install physical critical controls (i.e., barricade cones and coloured signage), prior to blasting.
- Inspect all drill holes and implement remediation action in preparation for charging.
- Assemble primer charges using selected detonators, fuses, detonating cords and other materials.
- Manually load explosives in blast holes and / or supervise and direct bulk explosive trucks onto the blasting pattern to charge holes.
- Connect electrical wires, detonating cords or fuses into primer / series and connect series to blasting machines.
- Join surface connectors to downlines.
- Follow the tie-up plan according to Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
- Conduct final inspections to assure that all blasting connections have been made safely and correctly.
- Conduct and maintain Quality Assurance (QA) / Quality Control (QC) standards during blasting activities.
- Manage, store and transport explosives and accessories according to strict safety regulations and observe Newmont safety procedures and processes at all times.
- Report on and maintain accurate inventory of explosives.
- Compile records of blasting activities using specified templates and forward to the Supervisor.
- Plan and prioritize own activities on a daily basis.
- Read instructions or diagrams to lay out explosives in accordance to the tie-up plan.
- Obtain the necessary equipment and consumables required to execute tasks from the Supervisor.
- Ensure that all works-in-progress and activities meet specifications, codes and regulations.
- Contribute to the achievement of blasting targets.
- Participate in regular toolbox and safety meetings.
- Participate in further training for upskilling purposes.
- Provide verbal feedback to the Supervisor on the activities completed for the day.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Liaise with the Stemming Loader Operators to commence stemming activities.
- Support Shot Firers in the connection of tie-ups.
- Liaise with the Shot Firer to issue the permission for blasting to commence.
Health and Safety Management
- Initiate steps to block entry into the pit including blasting- in-progress sign and barricade cones, maintain road block during pre and post-blasting to uphold the highest safety standards.
- Verify that the demarcated blast areas are safe and secure to promote worker health and safety.
- Conduct final blasting area safety inspection and signal personnel to clear the blasting zone, prior to firing the blast pattern.
- Inspect work areas and ensure all areas comply with internal Newmont and external regulatory standards.
- Comply with safe blasting procedures.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities to fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend daily pre-shift safety meetings.
Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- Blasting Certificate.
- Sound knowledge of various explosive types.
- Sound knowledge in blasting accessories.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 1 – 2 years’ blasting experience in a large open pit mining environment.
- Experience in electronic and non-electronic detonation.
- Strong risk management skills.
- Strong safety orientation skills.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong concentration skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound information monitoring skills.
- Ability to follow hazardous material procedures.
- Ability to follow verbal directions and hand signals.
- Ability to stay focused.
- Continuous learning.
- Detail oriented.
- Manual dexterity.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety Conscious.
- Team player.
- Technically inclined.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 18th July, 2023