Assistant Economist at International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Over the past decade or so Ghana has embarked on an agenda to develop its fertilizer sector. Different initiatives have sought to improve fertilizer consumption and use through several subsidy programs for farmers and the formulation of a fertilizer policy to guide fertilizer production, marketing and quality control. The realization of a need to harmonize all these efforts has led to the formation of a Team tasked to develop a Fertilizer Expansion Program for the country. Furthermore, balanced fertilizers are essential for sustainable agricultural intensification in Ghana. Widespread adoption of appropriate fertilizers requires a transformation of the fertilizer and food systems that must be driven by evidence-based agro-technical perspectives embedded in multi-stakeholder processes to create enabling conditions for adoption, which is the aim of the public-private program Fertilizer Research and Responsible Implementation (FERARI) https://ifdc.org/ferari/.
IFDC leads this 5-year program, that started in September 2019, carrying out the implementation component and co-supervising the researchers in the program. This program will focus on developing the fertilizer industrial sector, developing and optimizing the value chain and creating demand for fertilizers.
Clearly, the economic viability of any intervention in the fertilizer value chain should be secured for the responsible implementation of innovative fertilizer solutions. Financial benefits should resonate to farmers to adopt new products, while agro-dealers and other actors in the fertilizer value chain should earn a living from it as well. These and other complex economic dynamics in the sector should be understood and utilized to help develop the sector.
Scope of Work
Our project needs a reliable Economist/Socio-economist to join our team. We are three years down the road and gathered large amounts of socio-economic and agro-technical data that needs to be analyzed in great depth. We’re looking for a college graduate with journey-level skills and a desire to expand his or her skill set and experience. The ideal candidate will be able to function effectively under the supervision of the main economist who guides required economic analyses. The candidate will assist the Economics team to conduct research, prepare reports and journal articles, and formulate plans to aid in solution of economic problems in the fertilizer value chain. He/she will process economic and statistical data using econometric and sampling techniques. Our team includes some of the brightest minds in the academia and we hope to add you to our roster.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Assist in designing survey instrument and manage participatory action research processes.
- Assist in field data collection, secondary data collection, literature synthesis, and conduct field data analyses.
- Write, among others, journal articles and policy briefs, based on existing project data and objectives.
- Assist natural scientists to conduct economic analysis of fertilizer trials/demonstrations.
Skills & Competencies
- Skills in framing social science research designs and conceptual understanding within an interdisciplinary context, to design and conduct field research activities across soil fertility management and good agronomic practices.
- Proven experience in mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative),
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-institutional and multicultural environment.
- Possess an open mindset and the ability to learn.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (and French will be added advantage).
- Ability to plan and conduct socio economic studies for development
- Competence in statistical analysis and data collection
- Good skill in report-writing and presentation of research results
- Proven knowledge in mobilizing communities and professional organization
- Supervisory skills
- Time-management skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
Closing Date: 20th November 2022
- Minimum of Post Graduate degree (Master of Philosophy) in Agricultural Economics, Social Science, Development Economics, or a closely related field such as Agricultural Development and Agricultural Innovation Systems Economics, and Development Studies. Doctorate degree in any of the above is an advantage
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience, with at least 1 year of experience in carrying out social research studies
- Experience in Agricultural Research for Development is an advantage
- A proven publication record on relevant topics
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 18th November, 2022