AMU/AMR Specialist at FHI 360
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: FHI 360
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) is an eight-year (2019–2027) global health initiative project funded by U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The project receives Global Health Security funding to strengthen global, regional, and local public health systems to effectively prevent, detect, and respond to infectious diseases, building on broad experience and existing capabilities that align with GHS priorities, National Action Plans for Health Security (NAPHS), and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) goals. EpiC has presence in more than 60 countries and extensive breadth and depth of technical experience in the 10 priority GHS technical areas, FHI 360 and our consortium partners are ready to rapidly implement GHS programming.We are seeking to employ an AMU/AMR Specialist to lead our antimicrobial use (AMU) and antimicrobial resistance (AMR) work in Accra, Ghana.Job Summary:The antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance (AMU/AMR) Specialist provide leadership and technical assistance within the Ghana team, with a particular focus on surveillance, zoonotic disease, AMR, laboratory systems, and One Health. This involves design, implementation and monitoring of technical strategies and programs, and the development of tools. The AMU/AMR Specialist will be responsible for providing technical support for One Health activities relating to AMU/AMR in accordance with IHR core mandate. The position will be based in Accra, Ghana. Specific responsibilities include:Accountabilities:Technical Requirements:
- Support the Country Team Lead and local EpiC colleagues in collaborating with health officials of related departments of MOH, national and regional institutions for project design, and implementation.
- Provide technical assistance (TA) to strengthen AMR detection, surveillance, and One Health activities across human, animal, and environmental sectors.
- Support the development and implementation of initiatives to improve AMR detection and surveillance capacity.
- Provide TA to collect, assemble, and review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in all sectors.
- Provide technical assistance/participate in investigations of outbreaks involving resistant pathogens (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection) and the design of interventions to interrupt transmission.
- Provide technical assistance/participate in mapping/investigating/assessing antibiotic distribution and use in all sectors.
- Conduct supportive supervision to multisectoral laboratory and surveillance sites to improve the detection of AMR and to understand AMU.
- Work closely with country team to support laboratory-based AMR surveillance.
- Support the development and review/implementation of national plans, strategies, SOPs, and policies at national, regional, and local level to reduce AMR and improve antimicrobial stewardship (AMS).
- Contribute to strategies and activities that will enhance sharing of AMR and AMU data across sectors and with national stakeholders.
- Provide TA to develop educational materials to improve AMS and reduce AMR in all sectors.
- Provide TA to enhance knowledge of strong AMS practices within health professionals working in all sectors to advance diagnosis-based surveillance of AMR.
- Support capacity building activities to improve GHSA and IHR capacities.
- Represent GHS project to external; stakeholders and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks.
- Contribute significantly to project work planning and reporting.
- Provide technical writing inputs, documentation of project activities.
- Support monitoring and evaluation of activities across the GHS portfolio.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of related work plan activities.
- Participate in One Health stakeholders’ meetings and share updates on targets and results.
- Contribute to the preparation of related parts of required reports to FHI 360 and USAID.
Project Design Implementation:
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Monitors project deliverables and reports to supervisors.
- Leads technical project activities and sub activities and assists with project implementation.
- May implement components of the technical portions of the project plan.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Functions as the technical lead with oversight of project technical administrative and finance compliance, technical deliverables, and team management, (includes projects and consultants).
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with providing technical support for research studies.
- Knowledge of the GHS field in general and proven experience and working knowledge of AMU/AMR detection and surveillance. Should be skilled in facilitation, coordination, report writing and have knack for numbers.
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of field and laboratory-based AMU/AMR methodology and in AMR detection and surveillance.
- Competent in AMR disease detection and field epidemiology.
- Experience collaborating on projects/studies and coordinating efforts, as appropriate, with other program staff, other international health agencies, and private and non-private organizations.
- Strong expertise in GHS technical and programmatic areas.
- Excellent quantitative, qualitative, and analytical skills.
- Development of scope of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Broader knowledge of quality standards
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require review of various factors.
- Exercises good judgment with selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Decisions may cause delays and affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Serves as team lead and may mentor other lower-level personnel.
- Reports to the Project Director.
- Master’s Degree laboratory-based detection of infectious diseases, public health, epidemiology, or another related field. Registered laboratory technologist is required.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- At least 6+ years of relevant experience working in national/regional infectious disease detection and surveillance.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% – 25%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24th October, 2023