Advisor, Access to Finance at SNV Netherlands
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: SNV Netherlands
- Location: Ghana
- State: Tamale
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence. SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation, with decentralised management.
Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview and Background
As a pro-poor development organization, SNV facilitates smallholder agricultural value chain development by promoting production efficiency and product quality, improve access to input and farm management services, and strengthen farm resilience through climate smart practices. SNV also facilitates better farmer organisation, improved market access while securing companies’ supply base by enhancing farmer loyalty and investing in fair, equitable and sustainable practices.
SNV is in the process of initiating a project that seeks to significantly improve sustainable supply of high-quality white sorghum for processing purposes, targeting over 13,000 smallholders in up to 16 districts within the sorghum producing belt of Ghana. The anticipated project is expected to increase access to production resources to smallholders and commercial farmers including women and the youth, while creating a robust enabling environment for further growth. The overarching objective is to create a turnaround in the white sorghum supply chain, where farmers will experience and regard high quality sorghum as profitable business crop that fits well within sustainable farming systems.
To roll out the project, SNV is currently seeking applications for a full-time position as Advisor, Access to Finance for the anticipated project.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager the “Advisor, Access to Finance” is responsible for the developing and implementing the inclusive finance component of the project. S/he will lead in the design and execution of interventions to link actors in the sorghum value chain to access finance for production. These actors will include but not limited to farmers, aggregators, input dealers, and mechanized service providers. S/he will also be responsible for facilitating access to additional financial services such as payment systems, savings, credit, risk mitigation measures. The Access to finance Advisor will also be engaging private sector players in the sorghum value chain and financial Institutions to develop agri-finance products that support investments in the sorghum value chain to ultimately result in increasing the production of sorghum in a sustainable manner. The successful candidate will report to the project manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Advisor will include the following:
- Provide overall support to establishing of VSLAs and strengthen farmer position towards reliable and fair access to agricultural inputs, financing, and inclusive business practices.
- Assist in farmer segmentation and building credit worthy farmers and other actors in the value chain on one hand, while working with relevant financial institutions to develop the right agri-finance product that meets the needs of actors in the sorghum value chain.
- Oversee the effective implementation of the project plan to increase sorghum production among smallholders and commercial farmers in the chosen districts of the project.
- Mobilization of actors to produce sorghum.
- Lead training activities on access to finance for actors.
- Profiling/ assessments of actors’ financial needs and facilitate the necessary linkages for financial services.
- Profile financial institutions for the needed financial linkages with actors.
- Lead capacity building (technical, organizational) on business growth and development to empowerment women and youth (men and women) in the sorghum value chain.
- Lead business development prospects of aggregators to strengthen their capacity in farmer engagement for the supply of sorghum.
- Assist in educating farmers on land preparation and planting activities, good agricultural practices after planting, and support preharvesting meetings, farmer sensitisation of pricing agreements, grain quality standards and postharvest lost prevention measures.
- Strengthen farmer loyalty towards sorghum grain sourcing.
- Lead, manage and support the production of sorghum from at least four (4) districts.
- Master’s degree in Development Finance, Agriculture Economics, Development Economics, Economics, Public Policy, Business Administration, or related field.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in agri-finance sector working with SMEs, MSMEs, farmers, input credit schemes etc.
- Proven experience working with commercial financial institutions, impact investors, rural banks, and Microfinance institutions, preferably in rural communities.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing the inclusive finance component of a project; experience in larger and complex/multi-sectoral projects/programmes desired.
- Knowledge of savings and credit collaboratives, rotating savings groups, village savings and loan associations.
- Strong communication skills including reporting and presentation skills.
- Monitor and document indicators of the project alignment to production and finance.
- Any other duty assigned to him/her by the project manager.
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change.
- Ability to effectively communicate with farmers and entrepreneurs along the agricultural value chain.
- Strong interpersonnel skills with excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation.
- Able to support and energise private sector in business development.
- Experience in knowledge management and documentation.
- Team player and confident to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural setting.
- Ability to meet deadlines; Ability to work independently and proactively; Ability to work independently.
- Ability to coach to enhance business growth.
- Team player and able and willing to perform tasks assigned.
Application and Selection Process
Application Guidelines: Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
- This is a full-time national with the successful candidate being contracted on an initial two years basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
- SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.
- Interested applicants are kindly requested to upload their applications in English in the form of a one-page letter and current CV outlining experience, qualifications and three reference contacts, not later than 5:00pm, March 20, 2023.
- Expected Start Date: 15 April 2023, depending on contract award date.
- Only those applicants whose work experience and education meet the mandatory requisites below will be considered for the position.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th March, 2023