Accountant – Ghana and Cameroon at British Council
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: British Council
- Location: Ghana
- State: Ghana
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
No views yet
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK.
These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Accountant – Ghana and Cameroon
Pay band: 4/H
Post Location: Accra, Ghana
Contract type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 1- Year Fixed Term Contract (with possible of renewal)
The post holder will be responsible for the end-to-end accounting process in Ghana and Cameroon including month, quarter, and year end close. The role holder will ensure consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting experience in line with generally accepted accounting principles and corporate policies. This is a supporting role in the Financial Controlling and Accounting process.
Main opportunities / challenges for this role:
The Accountant Ghana will:
- complete all financial tasks required as part of the period end closing activities, supporting the Senior Accountants, budget managers and SBU leads on accurate and complete financial close process.
- provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals, and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- responsible for reviewing and scanning of invoices within the delegated Category and thresholds, ensuring invoices are supported by relevant supporting documentation.
- be responsible for the processing of approved off system payment and refund requests, ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- assist Senior Accountant with preparation of local tax submissions and other statutory returns i.e. Working on remittances of VAT, PAYE, WHT and Social Security deductions monthly.
- Work with regional and functional team to contribute to ensuring policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity.
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Shortlisted candidates will either demonstrate they have met the required standard through presentation of an agreed English language certificate or will be required to take the APTIS test and demonstrate a B1 level of English proficiency).
- HND Accounting/BSc. Accounting, or bachelor’s degree in finance-related areas.
- Fully qualified with a recognised accounting board, e.g. ACCA, ACA etc
- Experience working with SAP
- Experience of same role in a non-for-profit sector.
Role Specific Skills
Required candidate will need to possess:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an active and challenging accounting environment with proven and demonstrable technical accounting skills
- Above average user of Microsoft Excel
- Experience of an ERP system.
- Highly organised and deadline oriented.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
Analysing Data and Problems: Breaks down problems into a list of tasks to be done and decides on appropriate action.
Communicating and Influencing: Displays good listening, writing, and speaking skills, setting out logical arguments clearly and adapting language and form of communication to meet the needs of different people/audiences.
Managing risks: Demonstrates understanding of risk management policies and procedures and record of following them.
Planning and Organising: Able to plan own work over short timescales for routine or familiar tasks and processes.
Financial Reporting and Compliance: Understand and apply general compliance standards. Understand core elements of financial statements and reports.
Professional Accounting Standards: Apply accounting principles to accurately record financial transactions and maintain appropriate supporting documentation.
Transactional Accounting and Closing: Understand and apply the British Council’s accounting practices. Understand and apply account reconciliations.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 9th Sept. 2021