WUSC-Ghana Job Vacancy : Finance Manager
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Reputable Company
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
WUSC is a leading Canadian international development organization that works with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Founded in 1957 and currently working in 22 countries worldwide with an annual budget of approximately $45 million dollars, WUSC works towards a world where young people can grow up in safe, secure, supportive environments, where they can learn, work and play a vital role in their community and country’s development. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and engagement.
- Position location: Accra, Ghana
- Reports to: WUSC-Ghana Country Director
- Contract term: 2 years with possibility of renewal
- Deadline: May 19, 2017
Nature and Scope
Under the direct oversight of WUSC-Ghana Country Director, the Finance Manager (FM) will have overall responsibility for the financial management of WUSC in Ghana. He/She is expected to provide high professional expertise in finance relating to the implementation of all WUSC programs in Ghana. Current WUSC programming in Ghana include:
- The Uniterra Volunteer Cooperation Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Uniterra is a 5 year initiative (2015-2020) implemented in consortium with CECI that contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of an average of 40 Canadian and Ghanaian volunteers per year in four regions;
- The West Africa Governance and Economic Sustainability in Extractive Areas (WAGES) Project funded by GAC. WAGES is a 5-year (2016-2021) regional project jointly implemented with CECI in Burkina Faso, Guinea and Ghana. In Ghana, this project is implemented in 2 districts in the Western Region of Ghana;
- The Skills Development Fund II is a 2-year (2016-18) challenge fund funded by the Danish Government. This project is implemented in consortium with NIRAS consulting (as lead) and Cornerstone Capital.
The FM will perform the following responsibilities:
- Record and maintain accurate and timely financial information in accounting records and report to WUSC Ghana Country Director and headquarters in a timely and reliable manner, including monitoring of balances and payments;
- Ensure that the Chart of Accounts in accounting software are maintained and aligned with that of WUSC project accounts;
- Support Program staff, partners and the volunteers in the development of their accounting competencies and, if necessary, organize training;
Financial Management and Support
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports and all other financial documents required for WUSC programs in Ghana, and compliant to donors;
- Ensure all financial transactions are appropriately recorded in a timely manner and on a monthly basis;
- Ensure that all necessary financial reports are sent to WUSC headquarter prior to the monthly due dates;
- Prepare monthly expenditure forecast for all program/project activities of WUSC Ghana;
- Conduct regular monitoring of petty cash accounts including the spot checking of balances and payments;
- Develop and monitor monthly cash flow statements and ensure that cash flow requirements are met at all times.
- Make appropriate monthly advance requests to WUSC Headquarters;
- Review and address partner/staff advance requests;
- Monitor and assist in the monthly clearance of partners / staff advances;
- Monitor and take appropriate action regarding receivables and deferred revenue/unearned balances with funders;
- Prepare documentation and provide schedules for external and internal auditors as required;
- Coordinate, facilitate and support for internal and external audits;
- Ensure the monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and the monthly closure of financial records are approved by Country Director and sent to WUSC Headquarters;
- Review and implement necessary improvements to financial controls, systems and policies of WUSC in financial management in Ghana with approval of WUSC headquarters;
- Regularly maintain and update WUSC Ghana Accounting Procedures and Procurement manuals;
- Oversee an efficient accounting/financial filing system (including back-up and storage of all WUSC financial files) for the WUSC country office;
- Ensure compliance with organizational decisions, policies and procedures within his/her area of responsibility;
- Provide financial guidance to staff, partners and volunteers as may be appropriate;
- Oversee purchase of vehicles, equipment and furniture for the Accra office in accordance with established WUSC Ghana procedures;
- Ensure back-up and storage of all WUSC financial files;
- Prepare original supporting documents to be sent to WUSC Ottawa on a monthly basis; including the supervision of the photocopying and filing;
- Allocate salary and benefit expenses to the appropriate project and general ledger account codes;
- Handle all related tax and other tax returns and report to government officials of relevant departments on WUSC obligations;
Budget planning and management
- Ensure the effective development, management and monitoring of an annual budget for all programs/activities and maintaining strict control of all expenditures through performance-to-budget analysis;
- Support the Country Director and Program staff in the preparation and monitoring of annual budgets;
- Conduct all other duties as assigned by the WUSC-Ghana Country Director or headquarters office Finance team.
Required Skills or Experience
- Ten (10) years of progressive experience in financial and operations management of programs with annual budget of at least $500K/year.
- Experience working with regulations governing the management of international not-for-profit organizations and donors.
- Previous responsibility for maintaining general ledger and accounting schedules and reporting to an international HQ office.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheet, accounting packages (such as QuickBooks and Great Plain) and MS Word, Excel, Power Point is requires.
- Experience with electronic accounting systems and the implementation and management of networks.
- Must be a Ghanaian Citizen resident in Ghana.
- Ability to accomplish diverse and complex work.
- Ability to initiate, embrace and manage change.
- Ability to work as part of an international team in a participatory manner.
- Ability to think strategically, to set goals and priorities, to plan and manage workflow and human and material resources to achieve goals.
- Relevant experience in providing support to international volunteers is an asset.
- Education / Training
- Recognized professional accounting designation (such as CA, ACCA)
Strong English language skills, both written and oral capabilities.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please submit a letter of motivation and CV to [email protected] quoting “Finance Manager”.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please
WUSC is an equal employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.