Women Economic Empowerment Officer at CARE International
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: CARE International
- Location: Ghana
- State: Kumasi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. Our mission around the world is to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice. Our Core Values describe who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
We believe in urgent action, innovation, and the necessity of transformation – within the world and our own organization.
We are accountable to the people and partners we humbly serve, transparently sharing our results, stories and lessons.
We know that by embracing differences, actively including a variety of voices, and joining together we can solve the world’s most complex problems.
We believe in the equal value of every human being and the importance of respecting and honoring each individual; we know that change happens through people.
We challenge ourselves to the highest levels of learning and performance, tapping the best of human spirit to create impact.
CARE has a vision of a world of hope where all live in dignity and security… do you want to help us achieve this vision?
CARE International in Ghana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Women Economic Empowerment Officer (WEE) for PROSPER II PROJECT. PROSPER II is a 3-year project that seeks to strengthen the financial inclusion of women in cocoa-farming households, empower women through agricultural and non-agricultural livelihood options, improve nutrition and strengthen the capacity of communities to advocate for more inclusive governance structures. PROSPER II will work in 156 communities in the Western Region of Ghana and associated with Cargill’s supply chain with focus aligned with Cargill’s core pillars of addressing farmer livelihoods, food security and nutrition and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
PROSPER II will be operational in 7 cocoa districts – Sefwi-Wiawso, Asawinso, Anhwiaso, Awaso, Debiso, Essam and Asempaneye, all in the Western Region of Ghana. The ultimate aim of the PROSPER project is to improve food security and nutrition and social economic empowerment of cocoa farming households.
- The WEE Officer will be based in Kumasi and will have overall responsibility in the facilitating and coordination of all VSLA related activities including additional livelihood components of the PROSPER project. He/she will ensure all proposed objectives and targets are achieved concerning VSLA activities including guidance to successful formation of VSLAs, Rapid Appraisal of Income Generating Activities (IGA), Value Chain Analysis, beneficiary training on business/entrepreneurial skills. The incumbent will ensure regular field visits to monitor activities and conduct timely weekly and monthly reporting. The WEE Officer will report to the Project Manager.
Key Responsibilities :
- Facilitate training and capacity building for beneficiaries and VSLA agents
- Conduct awareness /sensitization on VSLA and IGA activities among communities and local leaders.
- Facilitate community vulnerability process in coordination with Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in target communities to define community gaps and provide basis for planning.
- Develop work plans (Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly) to ensure effective implementation of VSLA related activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan.
- Facilitate the identification and/or formation and mobilization of local structures such as VSLA groups, IGA groups, and marketing groups in the villages and district.
- Facilitate beneficiary identification in consultation with communities and local leaders using set of criteria.
- Facilitate the identification of village level VSLA agents to enhance community awareness and ownership/sustainability of VSLA approach.
- Follow up the day to day progress of VSLA groups and make recommendation for improving the project according to activity results
- Coach, supervise and mentor the village agents for effective facilitation and support of VSLA and Income generating activities.
- Strengthen the capacity of partners. i.e. local government representatives on VSLA and IGAs
- Facilitate and organize exposure or exchange visits and any other events for the beneficiaries to foster learning and experience sharing.
- Ensure VSLAs social funds is available to those members who face acute stress to act as emergency resource and ensure timely availability of project matching funds.
- Making sure balanced gender (Men, Women and Youth) in the representation and participation of the project.
- Liaise with the Program Manager for all decisions related to VSLAs and additional livelihoods and carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Line supervisor.
- Work with the M&E Officer to track progress of the savings groups, VSLAs and IGA activities to see if targets set in the annual work plan are achieved.
- Consolidate/compile monthly, quarterly and annual activity reports and special events showing achievements, lessons, constraints and recommendations which should be submitted to relevant authority at the agreed time
Required Skills or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Community development, sociology and any other relevant experience in microfinance, livelihoods, IGA and VSLA methodology.
- At least 2 years’ experience on community development/ training of savings groups, food security agriculture and non-agricultural livelihoods.
- Excellent facilitating and training skills
- Working experience in resilience initiatives or programs is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with principles and practice of savings-led microfinance and with strong awareness of challenges faced by traditional methodologies
- Practical experience VSLA MIS version 3.0 is an added advantage
- Clear knowledge of the region of operation is added advantage.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations on regular basis.
- Experience in working with Non-Governmental organizations, UN agencies and local communities, local authorities and Local NGOs.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
- Working experience in project operational areas and experience with similar assignments.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use standard computing packages such as word, excel, power point, spreadsheets and database software programs.
- Strong communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to multitask and work within deadlines;
- Ability to observe and maintain confidentiality in the performance of duties.
Method of Application
- Interested candidates should submit their applications and detailed CVs to the HR Officer, CARE International in Ghana or electronically to [email protected]. PLEASE INDICATE CLEARLY IN THE SUBJECT LINE THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
- Closing date for submission of applications is Thursday 27th February, 2020.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.