UNFPA Ghana Job Vacancy : Programme Analyst
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: UNFPA Ghana
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Under the overall supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the Technical Specialist for MH/FP, the Programme Analyst substantively contributes to the effective achievement of UNFPA activities in the area of sexual and reproductive health, reducing maternal mortality and accelerating progress on the ICPD agenda and SDG 3. This includes incorporating into programmes elements of population and development, access to maternal and new-born health services, access to family planning services, HIV and STI prevention, gender equality, and poverty reduction; specifically in the context of women and young people (including adolescents). The role places special emphasis on humanitarian assistance.
The Programme Analyst analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. He/she ensures coherence with agreed national and international planning frameworks; and guides and facilitates the delivery of UNFPA programs by monitoring results achieved in the implementation. He/she ensures and guides the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary.
The Programme Analyst facilitates the work of consultants, advisors and experts; and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. He/she must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to jointly contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate. The Programme Analyst is a budget owner and thus is accountable for ensuring the proper disbursement and absorption of funds to implementing partners.
The Programme Analyst is a substantive contributor to the program team in the Country Office.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Analyses and interprets the political, social and economic environment relevant to reproductive health in the context of reproductive health and rights; and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies analysing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks.
• Participates in relevant national and sub-national fora, enhancing UNFPA mandate on reproductive health; and works to ensure that technical issues are incorporated in national development plans and frameworks.
• Ensures the integration of RH/RR components in such UN system-wide process such as CCA, UNDAF, Millennium Development Project and SDGs monitoring Report. Assist in ensuring the prioritization of RH in SWAPS, health sector reforms and programme of work, GPRS and similar collaborative efforts.
• Addresses policy issues and provides substantive inputs to facilitate policy dialogue and the central positioning of RHCS within policies, national plans and strategies, UN system initiatives, and development frameworks in national and development partners’ coordination mechanisms in line with the new aid environment.
• Creates substantive knowledge of reproductive health issues in the country, assesses technical assistance needs in these areas and advises on the suitability of programmes and related interventions to meet these needs.
• Leads the development and implementation of humanitarian and emergency strategies at country level in collaboration with the UNCT
• Participates actively in appropriate UN coordination mechanisms (e.g. Joint UN Teams) and supports and contributes to all joint programmes/activities among the UN agencies.
• Ensures that there is universal access to reproductive health services and commodities during times of crisis.
• Ensures alignment of UNFPA humanitarian response plan with those of the Government of Ghana and other UN Agencies.
• In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, provides substantive leadership and inputs into the design and formulation of the Country Programme and its component projects in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures. Ensures quality of programme/project design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices, and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
• Leads programme implementation guiding and orienting executing agencies and programme personnel introducing effective modalities and practices for implementation.
• Expedites and coordinates project implementation by:
o Establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies.
o Facilitating timely and efficient delivery of project inputs.
o Identifying and addressing capacity development needs of implementing partners and project personnel.
• Advises and reports on achievement of programme results, proactively measuring substantive progress and the effective utilization of financial and human project resources using appropriate monitoring and measuring mechanisms and tools. Identifies bottlenecks, constraints and resource deficiencies and recommends corrective action.
• Creates and documents knowledge about current and emerging reproductive health issues, by analysing programmes, strategies, approaches and on-going experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
• Prepares and manages programme budgets.
• Monitors programme expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved programme budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels.
• Ensures the timely and accurate reporting of financial information.
• Raises requisitions for relevant travels and procurement under the e-procurement module in Atlas.
• Manages assets that have been procured by the UNFPA and supplied to the implementing partners; ensuring that they are put to proper use (Form C).
• Assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Country Office by analysing and monitoring national health sector funding, devising advocacy strategies that lead to increased funding, preparing relevant documentation (e.g. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles) and participating in donor meetings and public information events. Builds strong technical and programme multi-sectoral partnerships for advocacy for ICPD agenda through national institutions, networks, alliances and coalitions.
People Management & Leadership:
• Proactively ensures that all activities remain aligned with the broader aims of the CO and Country Programme.
• Exchanges relevant information and maintains an open line of communication with colleagues and his/her supervisor to ensure that synergies across programming activities are obtained.
• Actively participates in CO and programme unit team meetings.
• Undertakes capacity building among project staff and counterpart government institutions on issues pertaining to reproductive health.
• Directs the efforts of the Programme Assistant in line with the programme objectives.
• Manages the performance and development goals of the Programme Assistant to ensure optimal performance; identifies and remedies performance gaps.
• Submits progress reports and field visit reports in a timely manner and in line with required quality standards.
• Ensures that programme progress and analysis reports are prepared and submitted in a timely manner and in line with required quality standards.
• Develops TORs (and specifications) and other required documentation when submitting procurement requests and official requests for procurement.
• Participates in the procurement committees when appropriate.
• Provides evaluations of service providers to the CO, upon completion of said services.
• Ensures that procured goods are distributed to implementing partners in a timely manner.
• When appropriate, undertakes other job-related duties assigned by the supervisor and/or Representative.
• Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
• Results-based programme development and management
• Innovation and marketing of new approaches
• Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners
• Resource mobilization
• Training and facilitation skills
• Ability to conduct operational/interventional research
• Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, knowledge sharing/continuous learning, valuing diversity
• Managing Relationships: Working in teams, communicating information and ideas, conflict and self-management
• Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
• Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, results orientation/commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
Qualification Required & Experience
UNFPA is looking for candidates who have:
• Master’s degree in public health, social development, medicine, or other related social science field.
• Familiarity with issues of reproductive health and how this impacts on women and the young.
• 3 to 5 years professional experience preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector (at national level).
• Experience in working with government institutions, NGOs and/or donor institutions.
• Fluency in oral and written English.
• A second UN language is an asset.
• Proficiency in current office software applications.
• Proficiency in Atlas, PeopleSoft, and other computerized applications used by the UN.
How to Apply
Only Ghanaians are eligible to apply. Applications to be addressed to the Representative at: [email protected] Completion of United Nations Personal History form (P11) is mandatory. Download form at http://ghana.unfpa.org/index.php Closing Date: 08 June, 2018 Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Women are encouraged to apply. Successful candidate should be ready to assume duty at short notice.