Underground Maintenance General Foreman – Operations at Newmont Corporation
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Newmont Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- To coordinate with the Mechanical, Electrical and Controls General Foremen on the operation of the associated production plant and equipments, with the aim of delivering optimum plant productivity whilst maintaining the highest standards in regard to safety, efficiency and good housekeeping.
- Do you have experience in managing mine infrastructure operational personnel?
Underground mine infrastructure operations oversight and supervision
- Build and develop an operations team capable of meeting the business requirements of the underground mine.
- Develop and implement operations strategies, budgets and plans to ensure the maximum availability of the fixed plant at optimum cost.
- Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
- Oversee operations in the crushing plant and other underground mine infrastructure.
- Oversee the development and review of the standard task procedures (STPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs), management plans and guidelines.
- Ensure adherence to operating parameters, make decisions on operating conditions/ parameters and take necessary corrective action to minimize operation variations.
- Oversee the progress made by the shift team and monitor results and quality at each operation stage.
- Work with the maintenance team to coordinate the maintenance requirements for the underground mine infrastructure to meet the needs of the business.
- Coordinate production shutdowns and start-ups of the underground mine infrastructure to minimize delays.
- Manage and control costs within own area, where possible (i.e. reduce waste, improve operational control).
- Coordinate and execute procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
- Ensure that operations team employees are being trained and developed in accordance with the NGGL personnel development program.
- Manage and supervise contractors engaged in operation related activities for the underground mine.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s).
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept responsibility for the health and safety of employees under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Oversee that security procedures are followed to minimize the opportunities for theft of material or company property.
- Be responsible for the compilation, operations and management of an accurate, complete and up to date schematic register for the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
- Produce operation related reports as required and distributes to the relevant personnel and mine officials.
- Complete reports accurately detailing production variances, restrictions, hazards, maintenance requirements and oversee all corrective actions.
- Ensure that shift handover and other meetings as required are conducted in an efficient and orderly manner.
The above duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy or Chemistry or equivalent is highly desirable.
- A trade qualification in a mechanical, electrical or automation field is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mineral processing principles and mining industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of crushing and refrigeration plant equipment.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in metalliferous mining.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in an industrial environment.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly with crushing plants.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project, including ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Capacity planning skills.
- Strong business continuity management skills.
- Quality management skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Advanced project/programme management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
- Assertive and Influential.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Flexible in the approach to work.
- Lateral thinking.
- Deliver work to a high standard of quality.
- Position is in a very remote location.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal, however the employee is occasionally required to operate in a safety-critical environment.
- protective equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs, and dust mask based on working conditions.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 18 Sept, 2020