Underground Fixed Plant Maintenance Boliermaker at Newmont Mining Corporation
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct mechanical maintenance activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
General Mechanical Maintenance duties
• Actively participate in mechanical maintenance activities to ensure the provision of maintenance services that meet the business requirements of the underground mine.
• Perform servicing, maintenance and repair on all mechanical plant and equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
• Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organise the proper labor, services, equipment and skills to ensure they are available as required.
• Communicate with the supervisor and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
• Assist with the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
• Assist with the coordination and execution of procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
• Assist with the review and approval all structural, mechanical, plate work and piping drawings and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
• Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to determine mechanical maintenance backlogs and assist with equipment shutdown planning.
• Assist with the efficient management of spare parts, materials and consumables.
• Comply with the requirements for the proper use, storage and maintenance of company tooling.
• Maintain a high housekeeping standard in the maintenance work areas of underground mine infrastructure.
• Manage and control costs within maintenance areas, where possible (i.e. reduce waste, improve operational control).
• Other tasks or duties within the individuals skill set as directed by the Supervisor, underground mine maintenance management or senior mine officials.
2. Mechanical Maintenance Management
• Perform mechanical maintenance activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the maintenance team.
• Conduct troubleshooting of all relevant mechanical systems, ensuring there effective repair and reliable operation.
• Execute on all practical and technical work relevant to boiler making to ensure it is completed in a safe, timely and efficient manner.
• Work with operations and maintenance personnel to efficiently rectify plant and equipment breakdowns.
• Provide technical support and expert advice as required for work being conducted on any of the underground mine infrastructure ensuring safe work practices are followed.
• Assist the maintenance team, other departments and business partner personnel to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of reliable and stable services to the underground mine that comply with the technical requirements of the business.
• Perform inspections on equipment and maintenance activities in order to ensure the implementation and maintenance is as designed and in accordance with OEM and statutory requirements.
• Provide input into failure analysis studies as required.
Health and Safety Management
• Assist with the adherence of mechanical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
• Assist with the compliance of all mechanical apparatus, installations and related work to the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
• Assist with the implementation of applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs.
• Accept responsibility for one’s own health and safety.
• Attend periodic safety meetings, inspections and audits.
• Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice on the safe operation and maintenance of mechanical infrastructure.
• Actively promote safety in the workplace both within and external to the mechanical maintenance team.
Communication and Information management
• Comply with the requirements for the responsible management of all documentation.
• Complete maintenance reports as required and distribute to the relevant personnel and mine officials.
• Attend shift handover and other meetings with the maintenance team and other departments and personnel as required ensuring that the appropriate information is gathered or disseminated.
• Participate in the development of asset management strategies for mechanical apparatus and installations.
• Make recommendations to the Supervisor and other maintenance team members on areas of improvement.
• Facilitate communication for operations and outside departments relating to maintenance activities for equipment associated with the underground mine.
• Interface with operations, maintenance, planning and management to ensure the effective and efficient rectification of breakdowns.
• Communicate all relevant mechanical maintenance requirements to the Supervisor and other relevant personnel.
• Enhance communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, reports, meetings and briefings, etc.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Mechanical Fitter, Welder, Boilermaker trade qualification or equivalent is required as a minimum.
• Specialist welding certification is highly desirable.
• Inspecting or Sectional Engineer Certificate of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
• Should Mincom certification not be available then there must be a commitment to obtaining inspecting engineer certification in a reasonable timeframe.
• Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
• Knowledge of industrial work management processes.
• Knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
• Knowledge of fabrication techniques and practices.
• Ability to read and interpret fabrication drawings.
• Working knowledge of pumps and piping systems is highly desirable.
• Demonstrable knowledge of basic measurements and calculations.
• Working knowledge of CMMS programs is desirable.
• Knowledge of planning and scheduling maintenance activities.
• Knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
• Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field of welding or fabrication.
• Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of mechanical apparatus and installations in a large scale mining or heavy industry operation.
• Proven experience with stick, MIG and oxy – acetylene cutting and welding equipment.
• Underground mining experience is highly desirable.
• Ability to safely use hand and power tools.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
• Possess good planning and organising skills.
• Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills..
• Demonstrate good report writing skills.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
• Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information.
• Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
• Ability to interpret structural, mechanical, plate work and piping engineering drawings, standards, specification and manuals.
• Strong decision-making skills.
• Safety conscious.
• Methodical and logical.
• Display initiative.
• Neat, tidy and well organised.
• Results orientated.
• Be pro-active.
• Follow through on tasks.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
• Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 9 Nov, 2020