Trade & Industry Advisor at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
The Government of Ghana has a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through value addition of its natural resources. It has restored macro-economic stability and strong growth performance and has made a bold and public declaration to accelerate industrialization, particularly through vertically integrated value addition with Ghana’s agriculture products and rich deposits of mineral reserves, particularly gold, bauxite, iron ore, manganese and lithium. This is in addition to a range of other investment opportunities in key national infrastructure, vehicle manufacture, pharmaceutical, garment, technology, petrochemical, retail, tourism, energy and Agro-processing industries.
The Governments of Ghana and the United Kingdom have signed a trade partnership agreement worth £1.2bn ($1.6bn). The agreement allows for duty-free and quota-free access for Ghana to the UK market and preferential tariff reductions for UK exporters to the Ghanaian market.
The Ministry of Trade & Industry is tasked with delivering on this ambitious but achievable comprehensive program of Industrial transformation, under the “Industrialization for jobs and Growth Initiative” grouped under five key components:
- Building the competitiveness of existing Ghanaian Industries by injecting financial stimulus;
- Rolling out a major countrywide “One District One Factory” Initiative
- Development of Strategic Anchor Industries
- Establishment of Industrial Parks
- Enhancement of Domestic Retail Market Infrastructure
In support of this agenda, TBI is seeking a Trade & Industry Advisor to be based in the Ministry of Trade and Industry, working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Directors, and other key Stakeholders to implement economic priority initiatives.
This is an initial fixed term role of two years.
Specific duties include:
- Identify, engage and facilitate British and EU based companies to set up factories in Ghana purposely to manufacture goods and /or process Agro-Produce for export into the UK and EU markets
- Conduct ad hoc and highly bespoke and relevant analysis, as needed to progress the delivery of the industrialisation agenda and to support the development and implementation bankable projects for investors linking with other key Government institutions
- Advise Trade & Industry Minister on policies and incentives to attract FDI into Ghana from the UK and EU market
- Support senior Government counterparts in mapping, engaging and managing key stakeholders, including foreign and domestic investors, development partners and various Government institutions
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors working on agriculture and investment, including those in other parts of Government
- Identify, recommend and facilitate public/private partnerships and/or global development alliances that supports the Government of Ghana FDI development agenda
- Maintain active dialogue with International donor community, private sector players, local organizations, GOG partners, building contacts to facilitate TBI programmes
- Support the Country Head and other team members with quarterly and annual reporting, strategic and management programmes
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery in the public or private sectors.
The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all s/he will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in Government.
- Ideally 7-10 years’ of experience working on government delivery applied to economic development, agriculture transformation programmes or investment promotion work in emerging markets especially in Africa and or similar contexts, including but not limited to issues related to market systems development, public-private collaboration, export development, investment facilitation, commercial agriculture, and value chain development
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to set up factories in emerging markets to manufacture for export into the EU and UK Market will be an asset
- Experience of identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- Political savvy and an understanding of the needs of a senior Government officials, while being able to work and interact at the highest level of public life
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment
- An ability to work independently, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground, with emphasis on attention to details; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Ability to liaise with partner Governments, external bodies, organizations and key stakeholders to deliver the requirements of the office, and TBI in particular
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization including with virtual teams
- A master’s degree in public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields would be advantageous
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
About The Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 23 July. 2021