Programme Manager, African Cities for Clean Air at C40
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
C40 is a network of nearly 100 mayors of the world’s leading cities, who are working to deliver the urgent action needed right now to confront the climate crisis, and create a future where everyone, everywhere can thrive. Mayors of C40 cities are committed to using a science-based and people-focused approach to help the world limit global heating to 1.5°C and build healthy, equitable and resilient communities. Through a Global Green New Deal, mayors are working alongside a broad coalition of representatives from labour, business, the youth climate movement and civil society to go further and faster than ever before.
C40’s team of 200+ staff is headquartered in London, with offices in New York, Joburg, Singapore, Delhi, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris, and individual staff based across 25+ different locations, with the Office of the Chair based in Los Angeles.
The strategic direction of the organisation is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. A nine-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
At C40, we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore encourage a diverse pool of applicants and welcome applications from all sections of the community and would like to request you to complete the recruitment and diversity questionnaire, to help us monitor our recruitment and selection procedures. Although optional, we encourage you to complete these questions. For how C40 handles your personal information, please review our Privacy Notice – Recruitment.
C40’s Air Quality Programme
C40’s Air Quality Program works with city governments at the political and technical level to raise mayors’ ambition, overcome gaps in data and evidence, and design and deliver effective air quality-climate solutions. The C40 Air Quality Program provides a range of support, from deep engagement in pilot cities to technical assistance across a broader group, while connecting cities through a peer to peer network and creating tools and resources available to all cities. The Program supports cities by facilitating peer-to-peer knowledge sharing, providing direct technical assistance, organizing trainings, capacity building, and conducting research and pilot studies in collaboration with city staff. The technical assistance program deploys projects within cities in the areas of air quality monitoring, health impact assessment, air quality modeling, data analysis, and policy development.
C40’s Air Quality Program and Regions Team (Africa) are launching the new African Cities for Clean Air initiative to support African member cities in addressing their urban air quality challenges. The initiative’s goals are to (1) connect African cities for knowledge sharing and collaboration focused on best practices and successful solutions; (2) build capacity among city staff to measure air quality, assess air pollution sources, and evaluate health impacts; (3) support cities to identify, evaluate, and prioritize effective measures to mitigate air pollution; (4) build awareness around air pollution, including its danger to health in vulnerable populations; and (5) increase political engagement and inspire mayors to take bold actions. City staff, working with C40 global and regional teams, will participate in peer to peer collaboration, work with technical assistance partners, and engage with mayors and their staff to make new commitments and set priorities through a Regional Mayors’ Forum on Air Quality.
The Program Manager is a role within the Air Quality Program, responsible for managing the African Cities for Clean Air initiative’s work in C40’s 13 African cities. The manager will have knowledge and experience in air quality management in Africa with an understanding of the political and technical landscape of environmental management in the region that will inform C40’s priorities and workplans. The successful candidate will be a quick learner who thrives in dynamic environments and is a skilled project manager capable of managing a diverse and complex portfolio. They will be adept at connecting people and organizations around a shared purpose and building strategic relationships towards meeting ambitious goals. The Program Manager will work together with the Deputy Regional Director of Implementation, Africa to support air quality related activities in the Africa region and will build collaborations within and outside of C40 to deliver the African Cities for Clean Air Initiative while collecting data and information to expand C40’s air quality initiatives and build knowledge more widely. This is an exciting new initiative for C40, providing the opportunity for the right candidate to shape a new program that can have wide reaching impact.
The Program Manager will work closely with city staff, the C40 Regions Team (Africa), the global Air Quality Program, and C40 partners to evaluate the current landscape of air quality activities in C40 cities, identify barriers, city needs, and priorities, and contribute to development of C40’s air quality strategy for the region. In close liaison with the Deputy Regional Director of Implementation, the Program Manager will work with regional advisors and city staff to develop a program of work for each participating city, develop timelines and performance indicators, create requests for proposals and identify consultant partners, convene organizations working in selected cities, and ensure successful delivery of projects in collaboration with regional advisors and city staff. The Program Manager will also connect city staff participating in the forum by designing technical workshops, creating peer to peer connections and collaborations, and facilitating the participation of city agencies in trainings, workshops and meetings. The Program Manager will report to C40’s Technical Lead for Air Quality and, with dotted line reporting to the Deputy Regional Director of Implementation, due to the integrative nature of the work. The Program Manager will support, as needed, the Regional Advisors and Regions Team (Africa) in securing air quality commitments and organizing a regional Mayors’ Forum, a mayoral-level air quality event, and relevant communications activities.
- Conduct gap analysis and air quality landscape assessments to identify air quality related needs specific to given cities and work with city staff to identify priority projects and activities to take forward as part of the African Cities for Clean Air Initiative.
- Advise on air quality issues and strategy in the Africa region, including to C40’s Air Quality Director, Technical Lead, and C40’s Regional Director and Deputy Director for Africa.
- Design and coordinate major activities of the African Cities for Clean Air initiative, working with a team of three regional technical advisors, under direction from the Technical Lead for Air Quality and Deputy Regional Director of Implementation.
- Develop a workplan, timelines and other materials to define delivery of capacity building activities and agreed upon projects.
- Manage the delivery of the African Cities for Clean Air technical assistance projects, which consists of projects and activities delivered by contractors in collaboration with city and C40 staff.
- Coordinate technical assistance processes, procurement, and reporting under the African Cities for Clean Air initiative, including budgeting, contracting, and progress monitoring. Carry out all procurement tasks associated with the project, ensuring compliance with C40 policy and liaising with C40’s Finance and Legal teams where necessary.
- Lead on information collection and reporting relevant to the African Cities for Clean Air initiative, including charting progress against key performance indicators and preparing internal and external reports.
- Support the Regions Team (Africa), as needed, in organizing a mayoral-level event focused on air quality in Africa, including related communications activities.
- Assist in preparation of technical workshops related to air quality in African cities, including coordinating participation of C40 member city staff and external organizations.
- Work with C40’s communication teams to produce public-facing documents related to the African Cities for Clean Air initiative, and to devise communications toolkits for use by city staff.
- Organize webinars around topics of interest to participant cities, such as the Clean Air Cities Declaration and relevant technical concepts.
- Facilitate inter-city communication, including meetings, between city staff in the region, around air quality issues and best practices. Includes convening key agencies and staff responsible for air quality actions in the city in trainings and meetings.
- Create materials (e.g. reports, presentations, etc.) that are used to communicate C40’s air quality work to relevant city staff and organize and facilitate city and regional workshop agendas, webinars, and other convenings.
- Lead capacity building trainings in collaboration with C40 and consultant staff, as needed.
- Contribute to development of knowledge products based on technical assistance projects, including white papers, articles, op-eds and presentations for disseminating project learnings.
- Project management experience, including creating work plans, managing contractors, and communicating results.
- Strong preference for prior experience in air quality management, particularly in an African or developing country context.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, international organization while balancing multiple projects.
- Preference for experience in planning international events (including both webinars and in-person gatherings) and coordinating international project teams.
- Proactive approach to work, with an interest in taking ownership of crucial tasks and independently managing complex projects.
- Strong preference for experience working in or with city or regional governments in Africa, ideally with technical experience related to developing, implementing, advising on, and/or evaluating municipal policies or programs to improve air quality.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills are essential.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills essential. French language skills would be an added bonus.
Applicants must already have the right to work in the country where they apply. Moderate travel may be required as part of the role.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 31 May. 2021