Process Control Engineer at Newmont Corporation
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Newmont Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
• This role has the primary responsibility to manage, maintain and administer the fixed plant control systems within the Newmont SUG mine to ensure they meet the needs of the business and are operating safely, efficiently and effectively.
• The incumbent will provide expert technical advice on control and automation systems, equipment and technologies and monitor the fixed plant automation systems and engineering control functions, implement engineering improvements and upgrades as required to ensure such systems are maintained to the highest standards and comply with Newmont guidelines and industry best practice.
• Configure and deploy an update to the control loop monitoring software for the fixed plant control system at Subika plant facilities, including capture of this data in the plant historian and the creation and administration of a dashboard to present the health of the control loops.
• Provide expert technical advice on control and automation systems, software, equipment and technologies.
• Configure, deploy and maintain an update to the alarm monitoring software for the fixed plant control system at Subika plant facilities, including capture of aggregated alarm count data in the plant historian and the creation and administration of a dashboard to present the alarm performance.
• Design, plan and manage projects as directed by the Electrical & Instrumentation General Foreman.
• Perform regular servicing and maintenance on all instrumentation and control systems equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
• Troubleshoot hardware, software and instrumentation problems relating to control and automation systems
• PLC programming using ladder logic and/or function blocks and HMI programming.
• Responsible for creating or maintaining automation processes and ability to solve engineering problems using mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, thermo-dynamic or pneumatic principles.
• Review specifications, I&C control drawings, HMI screens, PLC programming and SACAD etc.
• Provide guidance and advice for supervisors and tradesmen in the area of control and automation systems and assist in the automation of equipment.
• Create training packages and deliver training for site personnel on the operation and management of all the process control monitoring tools that constitute the standard process control platform.
• Carry out regular system audits and checks to ensure the control systems are operating reliably and effectively.
• Perform and maintain regular backups for all control and automation equipment software.
• Identify, notify and advise management of any major risks, faults or problems that may occur with the control and automation systems and recommend or implement appropriate solutions.
• Provide timely and detailed reports on fixed plant automation systems and engineering control functions status as required.
• Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice for safety with automation and control systems.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
• Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science / Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• PLC programming qualifications are highly desirable.
• Mincom certification highly desirable
• In-depth knowledge in advance process control (APC), distributed control systems (DCS), programmable logic controller (PLC) and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)
• Demonstrated expertise with sensors, instruments, motors, PLC’s, SCADA and industrial automation.
• Knowledge of current electrical safety standards such as NEC and OSHA.
• Ability to understand P&ID’s, drawings, plans and industry specifications • Experience in project management. • Application design and integration, cloud computing (specifically Microsoft Azure)
• Expert knowledge in 3D CAD software
• Strong knowledge of maintenance principles and industry standards.
• Strong knowledge of the work management process.
• Strong knowledge in PLC and SCADA control systems.
• Knowledge of Asset Management principles and practice.
• Knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong programming (PLC and SCADA), SQL scripting skills.
• Strong Database Administration skills (PI Historian).
• Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in a process control and instrumentation environment preferably in the mining industry
• Extensive process control background, with a bachelor’s or higher degree level qualification in Process Control Engineering or Control System Engineering
• Supervisory experience is highly desirable.
• High level understanding of the following elements:
• Rockwell Automation (RSLogix, Control Logix and Compact Logix PLC’s)
• Modicorn Schneider Automation (Unity and Concept, Quantum and M540/580 PLC’s)
• HMI SCADA (FactoryTalk, Wonderware and Citect)
• Emerson DeltaV and Yokogawa CENTUM VP DCS (preferred but not essential)
• OSIsoft PI Data Historian
• PlantESP Control Loop Monitoring Software
• Metso OCS-4D Advanced Control Platform
• Managed Switches, including VLAN configuration
• Demonstrated ability to review and analyze data with a focus on process optimization.
• Computer literate (Word, Excel and site databases).
• Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills – demonstrated ability to do this with all levels of the workforce.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and work within ambiguity and ability to build strong working relationships.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 18 Sept, 2020