Newmont Mining Corporation Job Vacancy : Health and Safety Manager
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Brong Ahafo Region, Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- To design, lead and manage the development and implementation of sound health and safety management systems and processes that incorporate risk management strategies to achieve Zero Harm, drive continuous improvement and protect shareholder value, in relation to site Health and Safety.
HS Strategic Execution
- Manage the execution of occupational Health and Safety strategies to reduce and minimize the impact of work on employees’ health and well-being.
HS Policy, Procedure, Process and System Development and Execution
- Develop, monitor and direct the implementation of HS standards and procedures, across all operational levels within Newmont.
- Oversee all HS activities to ensure compliance with local and international legislation, regulations and operational best practices.
- Set comprehensive goals for HS performance across Newmont’s Ahafo mining operations.
- Provide technical and administrative direction on all HS decisions, which bear critical importance to the overall Operation’s objectives and profitability.
- Lead the development and implementation of behavioral HS systems and processes within the site to meet the company goal of Zero Harm.
- Lead the development, maintenance and implementation of HS systems and business plans.
- Develop, roll out and maintain specific HS initiatives across all operational levels within Newmont, ensuring they are current, appropriate and consistent with HS business plans, legislative requirements and best practice.
- Oversee all surface and underground HS operations.
- Facilitate weekly planning meetings with HS team to maintain HS plans and the implementation of HS corrective actions.
- Design and execute emergency and rapid response requirements.
HS Standards, Compliance, Risk and Governance
- Direct and guide HS risk assessments of the work of Operations to create a risk register.
- Review and update the risk register as conditions change or new elements are identified.
- Direct and manage the consistent application of Newmont corporate standards and governance requirements for site teams and contractors.
- Ensure that reviews and gap assessments are conducted on all key contractor HS plans and processes, to confirm alignment and compliance with Newmont corporate standards and governance requirements.
- Appraise and audit the performance of the site to ensure compliance with Newmont standards and governance requirements, key performance indicators and company core values such as Zero Harm.
- Facilitate ongoing interaction between Newmont and the inspectorate division of the Minerals Commission, by assisting them with Health and Safety technical investigations.
Information Management and Management Reporting
- Develop monitoring and measurement criteria for HS competency, in line of progression.
- Collate and analyses data from event investigations and other HS sources to determine control failure, root cause, lessons learned and actions to prevent recurrence.
- Provide technical leadership in investigation of HS related events.
- Manage the lessons learning process for significant potential events.
- Assist all HOD’s in responding to inquiries lodged by local Regulatory agencies and the Public, regarding Health and Safety issues.
- Provide the inspectorate division of the Minerals Commission with both monthly and quarterly reports.
Site Management Budget and Cost Control
- Develop and manage operating budgets and costs for the HS department.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering or Applied Sciences.
- Demonstrated excellence in technical knowledge of Health and Safety principles.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in conducting risk assessments and audit processes.
- Experience in implementing robust HS processes in newly established and existing project teams.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years’ Health and Safety experience, of which at least 4 – 5 years should be in the capacity of a Manager for a large organization, including experience in areas such as Surface and Underground Mining, Process Plant Operations and Project Construction.
- Advanced incident management skills.
- Advanced business continuity management skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced relationship management skills.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Strong capacity planning skills.
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Goal Orientated.
- Safety Conscious.
- Results Driven.
- Attention to Detail.
- Cultural Sensitivity.
- Work Under Pressure.
- Incumbent works in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas, not all of which have high exposures to hazardous environments.
- Although normal working hours are between 7am-4pm, incumbent frequently works beyond this time and no overtime is required to be paid.
- Travel is required to attend Chamber of Mines Technical Committee meetings, as well as periodic meetings with the Chief Inspector of Mines in Accra.