Head of Tech for Development, Ghana at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT / Telecom Jobs in Ghana
Are you excited by the prospect of transforming developing and emerging nations in Africa through the application of technology and innovations across public services, agriculture, health and climate? Do you have experience consulting or working in the tech field and of leading teams to drive systemic and transformative change in an emerging or developing country?
We are rapidly deploying a tech for development initiative in Ghana, enabled by a dynamic external partner across existing and new operations in the Tony Blair Institute’s Government Advisory and Tech & Public Policy divisions. This landmark initiative will be delivered in 30 countries, with activity in Ghana starting immediately.
We have an advisory team embedded in Ghana, including work within the central government to deploy data technologies to support the country’s COVID-19 response.
An exciting opportunity exists to work with the relevant ministries to design, support, and implement a suite of technology products to drive digital transformation across sectors. The post holder will drive the Ghana tech for development programme, leading a team of experts and delivery specialists based in Accra. The post holder will also work closely with TBI’s Global Director Tech for Development and her team to deliver our global plan and in coordination with the Ghana Country Head create synergies between Tech for Development and our broader Government Advisory work.
This is a senior role requiring an exceptional candidate with relevant expertise, deep networks with government and/or industry in country or other peer countries.
Key outcomes of the role
· Establishing effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors, securing mandate with at least one key counterpart as regular contact
· Design and delivery of our tech for development country programme plan created across sectors ranging from e-health to agriculture tech to green energy tech and staffed with engaged and results oriented people
· Tangible results delivered in tech for development, such as successful design and deployment of solutions, delivery of associated institutional change management ensuring impact
· Thought leadership recognised in country/regionally/globally and contribution to our tech for development global offer and playbook
Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country strategy for tech for development and alignment with broader country strategy; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government
Government Relations: Establish effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such as Presidents, PMs, Minister and Special Advisors. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact, in service of our mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of our Tech for Development Initiative
Project Execution and Monitoring: Serve as the focal point for tech for development projects in country, responsible for overall performance of project portfolio. Supervise and guide tech experts in your team across sectors (e-health, ag-tech, green energy tech, digital ID, and/or e-government) through effective program design, start-up and delivery. Establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, performance monitoring, and KPIs ensuring alignment with global key results. Report and engage with the Country Head Ghana, and Global Director Tech for Development to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage the initiative across TBI. Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place
People: Recruit, manage and develop a country tech for development team. Shape and embody a culture that drives innovation and delivery. Provide quality control of new hires and ongoing development and mentoring. The post holder and their team will be expected to play a key role in the broader community at TBI and will be expected to build strong working relationships across functional teams and practices
External Relations (non-governmental): Engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, donor organisations, media, suppliers and agencies
One TBI: The post holder will formally report into the Country Head, Ghana and form part of the wider team and country programme. They will be matrixed on deliverables and work with the Global Director, Tech for Development based in London and her team. Other key relationships will be with the Executive Directors for External Relations, Government Advisory, Tech & Public Policy, and our Legal, HR and Finance support teams
We are looking for an experienced leader:
- With a minimum of 7 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- Who is strategic and can challenge the status-quo and develop plans for successful delivery of challenging objectives
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With outstanding management skills and the proven ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives
- Who is a communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy as well as tactfully with government counterparties
- Who has worked or consulted in developing and emerging economies, with a preference for direct experience working in Ghana, and is sensitive to a diverse range of cultural and regional norms, and will foster a positive spirit of collaboration between our countries and our tech transformation offer
- With a bachelor’s or postgraduate degree or equivalent practical experience
About the Institute
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people.
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Government Advisory teams work directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemakers: you’ll be focused on results
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 26 May. 2021