Electrical & Instrumentation Supervisor at Newmont
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Newmont
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To supervise the electrical and instrumentation maintenance personnel and activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
General electrical maintenance duties
• Supervision of the electrical and instrumentation maintenance team to ensure they are capable of meeting the business requirements of the underground mine.
• Assist with the development and implementation of maintenance strategies based in RCM techniques, budgets, plans, forecasts and maintenance reports to ensure the maximum availability of electrical apparatus and installations at optimum cost.
• Supervise and perform servicing and maintenance on all electrical and installations, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
• Conduct troubleshooting of all the electrical systems including communication equipment installed ensuring there effective repair and operation.
• Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organise the proper labor, services, equipment and skills to ensure they are available as required.
• Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
• Assist with the review and approval all electrical drawings and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
• Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to determine electrical maintenance backlogs, scheduling, resource allocation and equipment shutdown planning.
• Review and make recommendations to the General foreman, Superintendent and other senior management on areas of improvement.
• Oversee the proper use, storage and maintenance of company tooling.
• Other tasks or duties within the individuals skill set as directed by the general foreman, underground maintenance superintendent or senior mine officials.
Electrical Maintenance Management
• To organise, coordinate and oversee the performance of all E & I related activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the E & I team.
• Provide technical support and expert advice as required when work is to be carried on any of the underground mine E & I infrastructure ensuring safe work practices are followed.
• Assist the E & I general foreman and the Ghana Grid Company personnel to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of a reliable and stable electrical power supply to the underground mine that complies with the technical requirements of the business.
• Assist with the compliance of all E & I apparatus, installations and related work to the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
• Perform Engineering inspections on equipment and maintenance activities in order to ensure it is being implemented as designed and in accordance with OEM requirements.
• Assist the general foreman with OEM alterations or modifications that are required for equipment to obtain optimum performance.
• Assist with effective and efficient control of high voltage switching and high voltage overhead power line maintenance and operations for the entire underground mine.
• Ensure that electrical and automation team employees are being trained and developed in accordance with the NGGL personnel development program.
• Manage and supervise contractors engaged in E & I related activities for the underground mine.
• Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
• Prioritising and allocating tasks / responsibilities.
• Checking and controlling the quality, quantity and timeliness of work.
• Promoting efficiency in all aspects of E & I maintenance activities.
• Providing on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
• Performing the first level of performance appraisal for direct reports.
• Recommend relevant training and development courses.
• Disciplining poor performance or actions (first level of disciplinary procedure ).
• Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
Health and Safety Management
• Assist with the adherence of electrical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
• Oversee and manage electrical compliance for the underground mine and associated infrastructure through the delivery of inspections, audits and reports.
• Assist with the implementation of applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs.
• Accept responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his / her supervision.
• Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice for safety with electricity.
• Actively promote safety in the workplace both within and external to the E & I maintenance team.
• Assist with the compilation, maintenance and management of an accurate, complete and up to date electrical schematic register for the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
• Assist with the establishment and maintenance of a system for the safe, structured and orderly storage of all E & I maintenance related documentation.
• Produce audit reports on internal electrical standards for IMS and oversee all corrective actions.
• Assist with the preparation and review of the annual maintenance budget and cost reports.
• Assist with the preparation and review of quarterly financial forecasts.
Communication and Stakeholder Management
• Engage with key stakeholders in development of asset management strategies for E & I apparatus and installations.
• Facilitate communication for operations and outside departments relating to E & I activities for equipment associated with the underground mine.
• Interface with operations, maintenance and planning to ensure the effective and efficient rectification of breakdowns.
• Communicate all E & I maintenance requirements to the relevant departments and personnel and distribute plans, schedules and information as necessary.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
• Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or other recognized equivalent qualification is highly desirable.
• Electrical or instrumentation trade qualification or equivalent is required as a minimum.
• Inspecting or Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
• Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
• Advanced knowledge of industrial work management processes.
• Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
• Knowledge of and experience with Reliability Centered Maintenance programs.
• Demonstrable knowledge of and experience with High Voltage switching and reticulation systems.
• Knowledge of underground mining electrical systems is highly desirable.
• Strong knowledge of electrical control systems.
• Proven working knowledge of CMMS programs.
• Knowledge of and experience with the maintenance practices for large electric motors.
• Advanced knowledge of the statutory regulations relevant to safety and the environment for the mining industry.
• Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field of electrical and instrumentation engineering or maintenance.
• Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of electrical apparatus and installations in a large scale mining or heavy industry operation.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising electrical engineering or maintenance teams.
• Underground mining experience is highly desirable.
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ERP and MS Project.
• Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
• Demonstrate good report writing skills.
• Be able to prepare and deliver presentations.
• Advanced project/programme management skills.
• Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
• Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
• Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
• Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
• Strong consultation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Safety conscious.
• Methodical and logical.
• Pay attention to detail.
• Team player.
• Flexible in the approach to work.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
• Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 2 Dec, 2020