Catholic Relief Services Job Vacancy : Field Officer – REST Project
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Reputable Company
- Location: Tamale, Northern, Ghana
- State: Tamale
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Catholic Relief Services began working in Ghana in 1958. Over the years, CRS has worked to implement programs on agriculture; health; HIV; microfinance; school feeding; water, sanitation and hygiene; emergency relief and peace building. CRS implements programs through partnerships with a variety of stakeholders, including the government of Ghana, local NGOs, international NGOs, Church, and public and private sector partners. CRS Ghana currently employs 56 national staff and 3 international staff. The country program’s head office is in Accra, with a sub office in Tamale.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- Job Title: Field Officer – REST Project
- Department: Programming
- Unit: Health
- Location of Duty: One of the six project districts
- Band: C
- Reports to:Community Mobilization Specialist
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
- Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and,
- Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peace Building, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and Education programs. A United States based Foundation has approved the CRS Ghana’s Rural Emergency Health Service and Transport (REST) Project for a period of three years (March 2014 – February 2017)
The primary function of the REST Field Officer is provide field level technical leadership and facilitative to the project implementation team and partners to ensure accomplishment of the Rural Emergency Health Service and Transport (REST) Project objectives and results, while meeting expected technical quality standards
Work with the Project Specialist in CRS sub-office in Tamale and with partner (Ghana Health Services) in implementation REST project strategies and activities. These include community mobilization and sensitization, formation of community-based groups (council of champions, repositioning of TBAs, Model Mothers), distributions project supplies and logistics, partner monitoring and project monitoring, project support in beneficiary selection and registration, monitoring and evaluation of project activities, coordination, and reporting.
Specifically, the Field Officer will:
- Mobilize and sensitize communities on key project strategies to ensure community ownership of projects
- Work closely with community mobilization specialist in the implementation of key project components at the health facility and the community levels
- Coordinate and or lead step down training of community-based agents in the implementation of REST Project activities
- Establish, identify and train/ facilitate the training of Model Mothers, Council of Champions, CETS members, Traditional Birth Attendants
- Provide regular feedback to project coordinator via the community mobilization specialist, point persons of implementing partners and ensure proper project tracking, record keeping as well as field level documentation of project activities
- Compile project reports highlighting project impact against indicators.
- As delegated by the component specialists, liaise with project staff partner staff document and share lessons learned, experience and human interest stories related to project activities.
- Conduct any other programming responsibility delegated by the Project Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Management
- Collaborate with project implementing partners and the target communities to undertake all activities aimed at enhancing the achievement of project strategic objectives
- Support the capacity building programs for Ghana Health Service and community members in all the project strategies as outlined in the technical narrative of the project document
- Collaborate with project component specialists and partners to develop annual work plans to ensure their timely implementation
- In collaboration with the GHS, and the Community Based Agents to facilitate data gathering, analysis and reporting based on standard scientific processes and methods
- In collaboration with the component specialists to identify and promptly resolve all trouble-shooting issues as they arise within the team and work on team building and team communication.
Project Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Support the conduct of targeted assessments and surveys on timely basis
- In collaboration with the component specialists to ensure accurate data processing and timely reporting on project activities
- In collaboration with the M&E specialist, monitor REST project activities the schools and communities
- Support review and assure timely completion and submission of project reports to the Project Coordinator via component specialists
- Work closely with M&E Specialist, key component specialists to supervise key community-based agents (Link Providers, Model Mothers and Healthy Mothers and Newborn Care Committees) on the M&E requirements of the project, and to assure that the REST Project meets set goals and objectives
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: CRS REST Project Coordinator – Health and other line Managers, Community Mobilization and M&E Specialists, and other Field Officers
- External: District Directors of Health Services in target districts
Required Skills or Experience
- Degree in Social Work, Community Development, Public Health/Nutrition or related field with experience in maternal and child health projects or equivalent degree
- Professional experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion activities is desirable
- Flexibility; ability to work as a team in a multicultural context
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft (Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint) office
- Experience in training and providing technical support to partners/community-based agents
- Excellent English and oral communication skills especially in local language of duty post
- Strong team building skills as well as Willingness to spend 90% of time in the field
- Ability to ride motorbike in rough terrain
- Physically fit, able to go to remote villages for 4 hours.
- Set clear goals and work towards achieving them
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
- Manages financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
- Upholds a Spirit of Service and Integrity
- Cultivates Constructive and Collegial Relationships
- Models Principled Stewardship
- Promotes continuous learning and innovation
- Note: List of responsibilities, professional and personal skills are considered indicative and not exhaustive; actual duties may differ or change depending on office and agency priorities at the time.
How to Apply
- CRS is an equal opportunity employer
- Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.