Ag-Tech Advisor at Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
We have the largest Job seeker visits by alexa rankings. Post a Job
- Company: Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ghana
We are looking to hire an exceptional advisor with experience and expertise across technology, government advisory and agriculture/agtech. The role would start immediately, based in Accra.
You should have experience and expertise across technology and government advisory, have a background in agriculture and agtech and ideally have previously worked on a successful technology rollout for government systems.
You will work with the designated ministries, including Agriculture and the wider TBI team to implement the Agri-tech projects in Ghana, advising and supporting development and application. You will work on the application of technology and innovations in the Agriculture Sector as part of our partnership with the Government of Ghana. You will join a growing team focused on our tech for transformation work in Ghana led by the Country Head. This team will work with the wider existing Ghana programme working in the Centre of Government, and Ministry of Agriculture, forming a team with enormous potential for further impact. The postholder will also form part of the global TBI Tech for Development team.
This is a key role requiring a strong candidate with relevant expertise in project management, tech and knowledge of and experience in the agriculture sector.
Key outcomes of the role
- The immediate task is to ensure the successful and rapid deployment of the vertical farming programme as part of the Government of Ghana’s commitment to innovation, jobs and livelihoods from modern agriculture
- Thereafter the role will support the wider partnership between the Government of Ghana and TBI on tech for transformation in the agricultural sector including supporting the development of this partnership
- Key performance targets will be established and delivered through effective development, deployment and management of the partnership’s goals
In the immediate term, the key responsibilities are as follows:
- Support key ministries, a diverse set of stakeholders from TBI, Government, technology providers and other partners in the successful deployment of vertical farming plans
- Work closely with all specialist teams to ensure the required technology meets the needs of the Ministry of Agriculture, its partners in the private sector and its end users
- Work closely with the Head for Tech, Ghana and, ultimately, the Country Head, Ghana, to ensure TBI meets the needs of its partners and stakeholders
- Define and report success metrics to help evaluate the efficiency of implemented solutions
The longer term responsibilities of the role include supporting adjacent technology applications to facilitate the priorities of the Agriculture Sector and wider digital services. This will involve:
- Planning: Working closely with the TBI Tech for Development team under the direction of the Head of Tech, Ghana and Country Head, and in consultation with government interlocutors, design, maintain and continually improve country project plans and tools to roll out our tech partnership initiative in the field of agriculture
- Execution and Monitoring: Under the direction of the Head of Tech and Country Head, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Report to and engage with the Head of Tech, Ghana, Country Head, and our the TBI Tech for Development team, to drive delivery, ideate, troubleshoot and manage roll-out. Where relevant, ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are followed
- Government Relations: Support the Head of Tech, Ghana and, ultimately, Country Head, to maintain effective and trusted relationships in government in line with the country project strategy and positioning, and in service of the overall TBI mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and our tech for development initiative
- People: Support the recruitment and management of team staff, as required. The post holder will be expected to develop strong working relationships
- External Relations (non-governmental): Support the Head of Tech, Ghana, and, ultimately, the Country Head, to engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech companies, partners, other actors and stakeholders in the tech and agriculture sectors as directed
- One TBI: the post holder will formally report to the Country Head through the Head for Tech, Ghana while maintaining closely linked into the TBI Tech for Development team.
We are looking for an Advisor:
- With a minimum of 5 years’ experience in management consulting or government advisory
- With experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions
- With demonstrable experience in agriculture, agtech
- With some prior experience in emerging markets, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa
- With some experience in public affairs or government relations
- With proven understanding of the Ghanan tech policy and regulatory environment in practice, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment
- Who commits to business objectives and pulls out the stops to make sure they are always met
- With the ability to work under pressure, and to coordinate with teams and multi-disciplinary advisors
- With strong communication and project management skills
- Who can work flexibly and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground
- With a bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
Prior work with the Government of Ghana is highly desirable and Fluency in English required. Fluency in another Ghanaian language is an advantage.
The Tony Blair Institute (TBI) is a mission-driven not for profit organisation. We exist to equip political leaders and governments to build open, inclusive and prosperous societies. We work hard, every day, to make a difference. When governments work well they are able to create economic and social change in a way that promotes fairness, social justice and opportunity. We work relentlessly to support leader and governments with the challenges they face. Giving them practical solutions and actionable insights, that once implemented, can be transformative for their people
We do this within two connected divisions:
Our Advisory Practice works directly with political leaders and governments around the world to implement reforms that improve the lives of their citizens. It has both non-profit partners and a client base and its outputs cover a range of disciplines and projects across countries in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South Asia. We are currently in a rapid expansion phase from c. 18 countries at present, to 30 by December 2022.
Our Policy Futures work encompasses three broad areas:
- Renewing the Centre: developing a bold and innovative domestic policy programme to help renew the centre ground of British politics;
- Tech and Public Policy: exploring the policy challenges and opportunities presented by the technological revolution; and
- Extremism Policy Unit: creating solutions designed to tackle the threat of extremist ideologies in the UK and around the world.
As an organisation, the core beliefs we all embrace are:
- Open and Progressive: you’ll believe in the value of teamwork
- Bold and Pragmatic: you’ll approach everything you do with integrity and authenticity
- Optimistic Changemaker: you’ll be focused on results
TBI believes embracing diversity and inclusion make us a better place to work. It’s our goal to reflect everyone in society and we actively welcome applications from individuals and groups who are under-represented in the workplace. We celebrate difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability. We will only ever assess you on your abilities and fit for a role. We’re happy to discuss any adjustments you need to ensure a level playing field during recruitment and, if you\’re successful, discuss any adjustments you might need to thrive in your role.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 10 May. 2021