Accountant and Security Focal Point at IBTCI
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: IBTCI
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ghana
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Accountant and Security Focal Point
Department/Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports To: Chief of Party
Type: Regular Full-Time
Overview: Evidence for Development (E4D) is five-year activity funded by the United States Agency for International Development in West Africa (USAID/WA) to increased availability of evidence in health interventions for improved resource allocation, policy advocacy, and program planning. The activity addresses critical gaps in the research and evidence for program implementation for Regional Health Office’s (RHO) Family Planning and HIV/AIDS activities in West Africa Region.
IBTCI is currently seeking a dedicated Accountant and Security Focal Point to maintain a USAID-funded project based in Accra, Ghana. The successful candidate will have strong organizational and time management skills. The position is only open to current residents of Ghana.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
As Accountant (75%)
- Receive and record invoices, and verify their accuracy
- Receive and record requests for petty cash payments
- Record all approved transactions in Quick Books
- Verify all support documentation prior to payment. This shall include seeking written confirmation from Technical Direction listed in the purchase order that all deliverables have been received and approved. The deliverables should also be filed as appropriate
- Submit all requests for payment for the supervisor for review prior to Chief of Party (COP) review and approval
- Issue payment (check, payment order, or wire) of approved transactions
- Ensure maintenance of petty cash in accordance with procedures and policies of IBTCI
- Complete steps to ensure disbursement of funds and deposit of payment orders to the bank, purchase of office and/or meeting materials, and payment of invoices and legal obligations
- Ensure stock management of office supplies while maintaining the inventory records
- Maintain/update inventory of equipment, materials, and goods of E4D program
- Assist the Operations and Finance Manager in operational support to program technical staff on budget planning of activities (costs & pricing) and in preparation of audits
- Organize all electronic and hard copy files related to Finance/administration, and update electronic and physical filing of important administrative and financial management documents according to the system put in place or approved by supervisor
- Respect established rules and procedures and values of IBTCI related to administrative and financial management
- Print, review, process and reconcile monthly financial imprest reports, which will be tracked in QuickBooks; work with supervisor to resolve discrepancies and contribute for imprest reports submission to Home Office in a timely manner.
- Prepare cash projections and wire transfer requests for imprest replenishment and submit monthly to supervisor with the imprest
- Prepare all payroll processes to include payment of local staff and payment of all payroll taxes and benefits in accordance with the Ghana’s labor laws; maintain and keep up to date all local personnel files.
- Administer travel advances and reconciliation for all field staff.
- Maintain financial filing system to include vendor files, imprest reports and deliverables from all vendors.
- Present a weekly synthesis of activities in format approved by supervisor, including anticipated tasks, completion and comments, constraints or difficulties encountered and options for solutions and next steps Maintain Accounting systems.
- Prepare and present financials and associated reports.
- Manage the A/R, A/P, P/R, general ledger and collection function.
- Must have good knowledge of general accounting theories, principles and practices with a solid knowledge of Government accounting.
- Establish and maintain accounting procedures and controls and monthly accounting calendar
- Support proposal activity and help to create pricing responses to RFP and RFQ’s.
- Monitor accuracy of budgets and provide suggestions for improving budgets.
- Other tasks related to post as assigned by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
As Security Focal Point (25%)
- Manage project security protocols and procedures that are in line with Home Office (HO) directives
- Maintain awareness of the security situation at all times. Conduct research and outreach required to complete all project based security reporting, including:
- A general security update presented to all project staff during the weekly staff meeting
- Focused situation reports in support of all field-based activities
- Complete security reports needed for all reporting to USAID
- Ensure all project activities are conducted in compliance with appropriate security protocols.
- Maintain real-time monitoring of all ongoing activities whether in the capital or in the field
- Provide safety and security advice, guidance and support to the Incident Management Team in crisis situations
- Ensure that long-term USN/TCN staff reside in secure accommodations
- Ensure that incoming HO staff or STTA are greeted upon arrival with appropriate security detail and are provided specific security guidance
- Liaise with external security providers
- Conduct briefings, including systematic checklist-based reviews (particularly in terms of field activities) with project staff as needed regarding security procedures
- Maintain and develop a network of those involved in security. Represent the project in security work groups and coordinating committees as decided by project management
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with international project accounting preferred.
- Experience working with USAID and other major donors is preferred.
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to meet deadlines highly desired.
- Able to manage and reconcile complex accounts preferred.
- 5-7 years’ experience as a professional Accountant, with experience in internal controls, auditing, and public financial management required.
- Prior experience using QuickBooks Accounting Software required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Education: Bachelor’s or higher in Accounting or a related field.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile or conflict prone zones.