Newmont Jobs : Senior Government Relations Representative
Welcome to jobwebghana.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ghana. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to 0201533571
- Company: Newmont
- Location: Brong Ahafo Region, Ghana
- State: Koforidua
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Public Sector Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
JOB TITLE:Government Public Affairs Specialist
POSITION TITLE (BCT):Senior Government Relations Representative
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Government Relations
JOB FAMILY: Government and Public Affairs
DIMENSIONS: Position has no direct reports and direct no budget
Positions directly supervised:N/A
Positions indirectly supervised:N/A
The position has the responsibility of supporting the Government Relations function in the initiation, development and sustenance of effective relationships between the company and government stakeholders using a culturally sensitive approach and ensuring that internal stakeholders are aligned with key government stakeholders to achieve the company’s operational and sustainability objectives
This is to be achieved by facilitating contact between the company and national government authorities as necessary through the developing and maintaining of a standard operating procedure consistent with the company’s policies and standards and by ensuring that internal stakeholders are abreast with key government policies and programs pertaining to the mining industry.
• Provide weekly highlights to ARLT on prevailing government relations issues
• Provide read-outs and briefs on parliamentary bills and discussions relating to Mining & extractive industries and be familiar with the mining code and prepare briefs and updates on it as necessary
• Support the Senior Director on stakeholder engagements – updating of stakeholder maps and dashboard; liaising with external gatekeepers of the various key stakeholders to facilitate meetings and other engagements
• Familiarity with the new Royalties Bill in order to provide updates and briefs
• Familiarity with structures of key agencies – immigration, Mincom;inspectorate divisions and design a fit with the needs of the company
• Ability to build and sustain relationships at the junior to intermediate levels with stakeholder agency staff
• Support the Country Risk process and update as necessary
• Promote and implement the Company’s Government Relations strategy, policies and standards and lead continuous improvement
• Work closely with consultants and experts from time to time during the various project phases.
• Handle confidential and time sensitive information and material with tact and discretion.
• Know and comply with the current Mining Safety and Health regulations and Loss Prevention procedures
• Develop appropriate systems to monitor and evaluate Government Relations Performance which can be readily communicated in a timely manner to internal and external stakeholders and the Regional Management team.
• Prioritize improving internal coordination between the site and regional levels, by developing site government relations plans that are integrated with regional government relations plans
• Conduct and periodically update a formal stakeholder analysis to identify relevant bodies, issues specific to each body, develop and implement a strategic plan for government relations, based on identification of issues and stakeholder analysis, and including clarifying responsibilities for engagement with each relevant body and a regular schedule of meetings with key government contacts
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
• The position is located in the Accra Regional office
• Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic and international sites.
• The position may require working outside regular work hours
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, masters is preferred
• Knowledge of Ghana’s legislative standards and procedures are required
• MBA studies or Post graduate in Public Administration is an advantage
• Knowledge of notable government bodies standards and procedures is required
• Minimum 5-7 years of relevant work or related government and public settings
• Mining, construction, utilities or relevant industry experience is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience with continuous improvement programs and integrated management systems
• Experience with industry organizations, government agencies, NGOs and civil society institutions.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong PC skills using MS office software
• Strong research capabilities
• Demonstrated ability to achieve deadlines and manage priorities
• Must have the ability to think strategically and implement tactically
• Public speaking ability
Job: *Environment and Social Responsibility
Title: Senior Government Relations Representative
Requisition ID: 161810