Newmont Job Vacancy : Mine Superintendent
Welcome to jobwebghana.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ghana. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to 0201533571
- Company: Newmont
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
JOB TITLE:Mine Superintendent – Subika Underground
POSITION TITLE (BCT):Mine Superintendent – Subika Underground
REPORTS TO: Mine Manager – Subika Underground
JOB FAMILY: Projects/Operations
DIMENSIONS: Responsible for the direction, planning and coordination of all Underground Mining Operations and Contracting activities. Direct report will be the Owners superintendents and the prime mining contractors operations manager.
Operations/Capital Budget: $20M – $30Mpa Personnel Budget: 2-3 (Newmont)
Positions directly supervised: 2
Positions indirectly supervised: 300 (including contractors)
Accountability for all aspects of the Subika underground operations and maintenance and bringing the first Newmont underground mine through execution phase and into commercial production.
• Carry out all duties in accordance with the management system, to improve safety performance and maintain safe and efficient functioning of the underground mine. Work to eliminate all workplace injuries and illness through a focus on behaviors, leadership and risk management.
• Manage the Subika Underground contractor and sub-contractors, holding them accountable to safety and production targets.
• Set mining KPI targets and identify and act on variances to achieve budget.
• Seek out, lead and apply underground best practices and continuous improvements practices to deliver sustainable cost, efficiency and personnel health and wellness improvements.
• Engage with construction manager and support project director to achieve business objectives.
• Where required or appropriate represents the Company in dealings with external agencies, contractors, consultants and suppliers.
• Effectively interface with support functions and other organizations to facilitate the coordination and execution of work to optimize underground mining and maintenance.
• Develop and implement Mine Operating Systems to manage the subika underground and complete business readiness activities to transition from Projects to Operations.
• Identify and implement controls for project, operations and H&S risks.
Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORK CONDITION:
• Combination of office and UG mining conditions.
• Moist wet surfaces with section of continuous water fall.
• Potential for extreme dust particles and high heat/humidity.
• Noise exposure within the requirements for earplugs or/and ear muffs.
• Dark environment which requires personal attachment of lit head gear.
• Underground conditions include steep decline with section of uneven terrain.
• Unventilated areas with asphyxiating gaseous environments.
• Working with corrosive chemicals
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS [HSLP]:
Employee must be able to perform and work under the following conditions:
• Operate small hand-held tools, such as saws, hammers weighing up to 5 lbs. Operate underground and surface vehicles on haulage roads including a pre-operational inspection, mounting and dismounting vehicle, pushing and pulling knobs and levers, and turning steering wheels.
• Operate and hold a radio with sufficient voice and hearing to carry on a conversation for the purpose of following work assignments and providing feedback.
• Read, comprehend, interpret and learn literature, Material Safety Data Sheets MSDS, labels on products, warning signs, instructional manuals and numbers on monitors and gauges, to prevent loss of personnel, property and process.
• Wear personal protective equipment including hard hat, steel toe shoes, safety glasses, respirators, wet suits, earplugs, gloves, head lamp or any other equipment to perform duties safely.
• Walk and stand on uneven and wet surfaces.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• A University or College degree in Mining Engineering or related field or equivalent operations experience.
• Ghanaian Underground Mine Manager Regulations and Certification.
• 15 years of experience in underground mining. This experience should include progressive management experience in both owner and contractor capacities.
• Experience with mine planning and reporting software systems.
• Experience in building, training and executing with a multinational team.
• Experience with design and implementing planning systems and engineering team for rapid mechanized underground mine development and semi-automated LHOS production.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ghanaian Statutory Certifications.
• Developed and managed diverse teams consisting of owner, contractor and operator.
• Management and production roles in large scale mechanized LHOS underground mines.
• Strong analytical skills, with a focus on Continuous Improvement
Job: *Operations – Underground
Title: Mine Superintendent – Subika Underground
Requisition ID: 161708