IPA Jobs : Research Coordinator, Agriculture And Rural Development
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: IPA
- Location: Tamale, Northern Region, Ghana
- State: Tamale
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a United States-based non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates their impact, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
- Reports to: Research Manager
- Location: Tamale, Northern Region
- Deadline to apply: 31st January, 2017
- Desired start date: As soon as possible
- Length of commitment: 2 years renewable
- Job Code: RC-AGRD-3102016
This position will be based in Tamale, Ghana.
- Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a United States-based non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
- IPA designs, rigorously evaluates their impact, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries.
- This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
- IPA seeks a Research Coordinator to oversee a portfolio of 2 (sometimes up to 3) research projects most of which will be related to Agriculture and Rural Development.
- If you are committed to solving poverty problems through research, have strong quantitative skills, are interested in Agriculture and Rural Development, and would like to work in a dynamic, multi-cultural and learning-oriented culture, then you may be the Research Coordinator that we are looking for.
- The Research Coordinator will supervise and provide technical support to two or three research projects, each of which will be staffed with a team of one or more permanent staff. Most of these research projects are expected to relate to agricultural technology adoption, value chains, nutrition, and rural livelihoods though the research coordinator might also get involved with other sectors such as public health, education or financial inclusion.
- The Research Coordinator will work closely with the academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: overseeing several other project staff, refining and testing survey instruments, conducting qualitative research, checking and analyzing in-coming data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports, coordinating with local partners running the programs being evaluated. The research coordinator may also contribute to the development of new research projects and designs, policy outreach, and internal capacity building.
- Manage the research projects in the RC’s portfolio and work with Principal Investigators to ensure adherence to research design, sample selection, data collection, data management and general research protocols, as well as overall project objectives timelines;
- Oversee the planning and preparation of data collection activities, provide feedback on field operations and survey instruments, provide quality control during the data collection and cleaning processes, and assist in preparing preliminary analysis;
- Travel to the field to discuss impact evaluations with local partners;
- Directly supervise 2 to 5 permanent research staff, with an eye on their professional growth;
- Keep the Deputy Country Director apprised of all developments on the projects within their portfolio, and serve as a key link between the field office, project staff, and Principal Investigators;
- Help to develop and implement capacity building efforts in rigorous evaluation to local stakeholders and funders;
- Work with field office staff to ensure sound human resource and operational management of projects;
- Oversee project financial management, including monitoring of project budgets, and ensuring smooth adherence of projects to IPA financial systems;
- Oversee documentation and reporting activities for the projects in the portfolio;
- Take part in regular meetings with local partners and other partners to ensure success of programmatic activities; and
- Provide support to new project development activities, policy outreach and internal capacity building, under the guidance of the Research Manager, Deputy Country Director and Country Director
We are looking for a commitment period of two years for this position.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields. Bachelor’s degree only may be considered if compensated by additional relevant experience.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience, including experience managing field research, preferably including quantitative surveys; managing teams; and managing finances;
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- Excellent management and organizational skills;
- Strong quantitative skills, experience with data management/cleaning/analysis;
- Advanced knowledge of Stata is preferred;
- Experience working closely with local stakeholders and implementers, collaborating and communicating effectively with a wide range of professionals and cultures
- Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required;
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred;
- Experience living in a developing country is preferred;
- Experience in/knowledge of the agriculture sector is a strong plus.
How to Apply
- To apply, please fill out the online application form by clicking the link below:
- Please take note of the following instructions:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until suitable candidates are found.
- Incomplete applications or applications not completed through the web-form will not be considered.
- Due to high volume of applications received by IPA, only candidates who are selected to go through to the next phase of the recruitment process will be contacted.
- DISCLAIMER: Please note that IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported. Please direct questions to [email protected].