FHI 360 Job Vacancy : Reading Advisor
Welcome to jobwebghana.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Ghana. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to 0201533571
- Company: FHI 360
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Early Grade Reading Specialist
The USAID-funded Ghana Learning project aims to achieve the ambitious goal of improving reading outcomes for over 1 million primary students in Ghana (grades KG2 to P2).
The project works closely with and build the capacity of local Ghanaian NGO and MOE/GES partners to achieve this goal.
The project will focus on the following expected outcomes related to the overarching goal
- In service training for reading will be strengthened for at least 22,800 teachers using USAID’s ‘simple view of reading’
- Increased availability and use of core and supplementary reading materials for eachers and primary school pupils
- Strategies for improving early grade numeracy teaching and learning piloted
- Implementation of MOE language policy strengthened
- Strategies for improving teacher attendance and time on task working via District Reading Action Plans implemented
- District Reading Grants effectively used by selected ‘performing districts’ to help promote reading and improve basic education management practices.
As part of the Learning team, the Reading Specialist will report to the COP and support the Learning technical approach to improving literacy and learning outcomes among children in Ghana. S/he will also work closely with the FHI 360 Reading Team Leader at HQ and her team to ensure quality control.
- Monitor and support process for Dagbani Prototype implementation working closely with FHI 360 DCOP, FHI 360 HQ reading team, GILBTT staff and SIL Consultants (both materials revisions as well as development and piloting of teacher training and coaching materials)
- Monitor and support process of Materials development for 11 local languages and English drawing on formative learning from Dagbani Prototype
- Advise SIL and GILLBT materials development teams on USAID requirements for reading materials and facilitate problem solving between materials development teams and FHI 360 HQ reading team
- Lead revision and reformatting templates for pupil books and teachers’ guides, coordinating with in-country partners (GILLBTT, MOE/GES, SIL-LEAD and other stakeholders as well as FHI360 HQ.
- Provide support and guidance in the use of the templates and troubleshoot situations where the templates may not be appropriate for a particular language feature or skill.
- Participate in materials revision to support quality control, particularly for adhesion to reading methodology, USAID requirements and harmony across languages.
- Lead development of videos that demonstrate teaching techniques (including script writing, prepping teachers, and coordinating with the production company)
- Contribute to the development of other professional development tools such as school-based in-service modules, face-to-face trainings, and e-course modules.
- Coordinate development of observation, fidelity of implementation, and other monitoring tools with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team.
- Lead the Dagbani prototype improvement feedback loop (visiting classrooms to observe the implementation of lesson plans, leading the team’s interpretation of reading M&E data – formative and outcomes data, facilitating decision-making in order to appropriately incorporate perspectives and feedback from Learning (field and H.O.), GILLBT, SIL and ministry partners)
- Contribute to the development of a coaching program and tools.
- Assist with trainings of trainers.
- Conduct quality assurance visits to training sites and schools
- Provide capacity building in the teaching of reading as needed for staff and partners.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- Provides technical and scientific leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in specific technical areas.
- Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence- based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design.
- Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff.
- Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate.
- Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound.
- May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to en sure design is sound and based upon evidence- based practice.
- Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise.
- Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks.
- Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel.
- May be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW), district health staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission in order to complete work.
- Provide technical leadership in a specific technical component and/or program wide activities.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of specific technical components of programs.
- Participate in resource development activities.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues.
- Master’s Degree in International Education or an equivalent degree.
- 3 to 5+ Years of experience in classroom teaching reading in primary school (domestic or international) and experience in providing technical assistance to USAID or similar early grade reading projects in developing countries.
- Knowledge and experience in specific early grade reading.
- Informed of current program developments in early grade reaching.
- Years of work experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of cultural and political challenges of implementing projects in developing countries.
- Ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.