Catholic Relief Services Jobs : Construction Quality Field Officers
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
- Company: Reputable Company
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Construction / Real Estate Jobs in Ghana
Catholic Relief Services began working in Ghana in 1958. Over the years, CRS has worked to implement programs on agriculture; health; HIV; microfinance; school feeding; water, sanitation and hygiene; emergency relief and peace building. CRS implements programs through partnerships with a variety of stakeholders, including the government of Ghana, local NGOs, international NGOs, Church, and public and private sector partners. CRS Ghana currently employs 56 national staff and 3 international staff. The country program’s head office is in Accra, with a sub office in Tamale.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We are motivated by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cherish, preserve and uphold the sacredness and dignity of all human life, foster charity and justice, and embody Catholic social and moral teaching as we act to:
- Promote human development by responding to major emergencies, fighting disease and poverty, and nurturing peaceful and just societies; and,
- Serve Catholics in the United States as they live their faith in solidarity with their brothers and sisters around the world.
- Department: Programming
- Unit: Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH)
- Job Title: Construction Quality Office
- Location: District Capitals (Northern and Upper East Regions)
- Band: C
- Report to: Project Specialist
CRS is seeking to hire Construction Quality Field Officers to monitor the progress and quality of construction of new and renovated water facilities (boreholes and hand-dug wells) in target communities.
- Responsible for the field supervision of the construction and installation of new facilities such as mechanized boreholes or boreholes fitted with hand-pumps; repairs and rehabilitation of boreholes and hand-dug wells fitted with hand pumps in the communities; repair and rehabilitation of platforms around hand pumps; and repairs of drainage and soakaways.
- The successful candidate will attend regular construction site visits and will produce ongoing construction monitoring reports; pre-construction engineering assessments and document reviews.
Specifically, the Construction Quality Officer will conduct:
Regular Monitoring and Quality Assurance
- Use standardized electronic forms and photographs to monitor the progress and quality of construction of borehole and hand-dug well sites
- Ensure compliance with the contract requirements including spot verification of human resources, equipment and materials as stipulated in contracts
- Spot verification of drilling and construction material quality: stones for foundation, sand, gravel, concrete blocks, wooden and metal frames, etc.
- Spot verification of construction quality: concrete mixing ratio, layout of foundations, pit and pipe stand construction, platforms around hand pumps, drainage and soakaways, electrical /solar pumps and piped-in water systems, reinforcement, verticality of walls, etc.
- Spot verification of safety measures
- Report progress using a central construction monitoring matrix
- Monitoring of appropriateness for users: flood resilient aprons around boreholes, year round accessibility, disability user-friendly
- Details on borehole development, pumping tests, water quality sampling and pump installations in the borehole
- Map all infrastructure using Geographic Information Technology ( GIS) technology
Coordination with Contractors
- Establish working relationship and clear expectations with contractor and/ or foremen at each site
- Work with contractors to identify all sites where new water facilities will be constructed (paying attention to flood plain, environmental safety, ease of access, etc.) for final approval of the project coordinator
- Engage contractors or designates in site visits and compile issues discussed, recommendations and action points to management through the Project Coordinator.
Coordination with Government Agencies and Beneficiary Communities
- Build relationships and coordinate with District Engineer and Water and Sanitation Teams to perform joint site visits, and formally approve final construction for hand over to beneficiary communities
- Build relationships with and coordinate with other decentralized government agencies including CWSA and EHU
- Establish cordial relationships with beneficiary communities and opinion leaders
Technical Review and related Support
- Support CRS to maintain accepted WASH & Infrastructural standards for the sector and ensure that project staff, partner agencies and recipient communities understand and adhere to these standards.
- Support in the technical review of bidding and tender documents to ensure that they meet standard requirements.
- Assist in reviewing the bill of quantities and bill of materials to ensure the estimated costs are reasonable and comparable to market rates.
- Coordinate with WASH Specialist and field officers based in each district to build linkages to district monitoring committees and build the expectation that community-based groups should be monitoring the quality of construction
- Work with the MEAL unit to accurately report on the progress of construction, providing photographs and written summaries of construction as required for reporting
- Provide timely updates to Project Coordinator on any issues requiring immediate attention.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Regional/HQ technical advisors, Head of Programs, WASH and other line managers, Project Coordinator, WASH Specialist, M&E Specialist, and other Field Officers
- External: Regional/District Directors of CWSA in target districts.
Note: List of responsibilities, professional and personal skills are considered indicative and not exhaustive; actual duties may differ or change depending on office and agency priorities at the time.
Required Skills or Experience
- Degree in Engineering/Water Resources Management/Building and Construction /Construction Management, or relevant HND qualification
- Minimum of 3 years’ solid inspection experience and general all-around knowledge of every aspect of water infrastructure construction including site work, boreholes drilling and hand-dug well construction, pipe laying, foundations, structures, electrical, drainage, paving, concrete work and health and safety
- Skilled in the use of standard software applications.
- Knowledge of Microsoft word processing and spreadsheets
- Good attitude and communications skills, including written materials
- Great time management and ability to work to meet deadlines in multiple tasking environments
- Able to work with little direct supervision to achieve work objectives
- Ability to travel within the area of intervention 90% of the time (day trips)
- Licensed to ride a motorcycle.
- Experience in training and providing technical support to partners and other officers
- Excellent English and oral communication skills
- Strong team building skills as well as willingness to travel and work in the field
- Set clear goals and work towards achieving them
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
- Manages financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
- Upholds a Spirit of Service and Integrity
- Cultivates Constructive and Collegial Relationships
- Models Principled Stewardship
- Promotes continuous learning and innovation
How to Apply
- The e-mail subject line for all applications and CVs should make reference for positions applied e.g.: Construction Quality Officer_UN-Habitat.
- CRS is an equal opportunity employer.
- Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.